krusty_30

Help choosing/visualizing exterior paint!

80shome help
6 years ago

In a few weeks, I'll be painting the exterior of our house. The paint on the wood siding is starting to peel, so it's in need of a paint job. Originally, I planned on simply matching the existing paint color. We have been happy with it and think it works with our roof and brick, and I figured it would be easier than starting with a new color! Recently though I've been rethinking things. We haven't changed the color since we bought the house, and now I'm thinking that this may be the time to pick what we like best vs simply keeping status quo.

But I'm not sure what would look best! Our roof is fairly new, and with a reddish tint. We also have multi-colored brown brick we have to work with (although I suppose painting would be an option). Our newish windows are off-white so a stark white trim wouldn't match them perfectly. And right now, our front and garage doors are just painted the same as the siding. Any ideas and visualization help would be MUCH appreciated! We hardly know where to start.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

I know you did not ask, but consider removing the shutters, and adding columns. I've shown 3, but I think 2 larger on each side would look better.

For paint, similar color, but a bit darker. Garage door the same, find a brighter color for the doors.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I like the idea of going just a shade or two darker. Looks so much better with out the shutters! Consider using the mortar color for trim or just the same off white as the windows for the trim. If you can, I would also paint the downspout to blend in with the brick.

• PRO
    Melotte Morse Leonatti Parker
    6 years ago

I would consider matching the color of the of the garage door. I have to agree with the removal the shutters. I would paint the front door the same color as the garage door but two shades darker to create a focal point...(maintain the white trim). Mirroring the existing column and bracket on the opposite side of the porch would look like nice as well.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Consider darker trim around the windows. Band board, post and gutter can remain the off white.

• 80shome help
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of a column on the other side of the porch and maybe bulking them up.

My wife really doesn't like the no shutter look. It definitely gives it more or a modern look, but modern isn't really our style.

How would shutters look if they were black or some other color that didn't match the trim? I like the door being a color that pops but wondering how rural look with shutters.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.