syzygy23

HELP! Natural Stone Landscape Steps and UCC/IRC Codes

J Gold
6 years ago

All -

We've recently been informed that our landscape steps are not to code because the natural stone does stay within the 3/8" tolerance for variability in the rise (height) and depth of the individual steps. When I asked to see the sections of the code, I found they were referencing Means of Egress (IRC 3.11). Hover, these stairs do not lead directly to or from the dwelling, they are not a means of egress and they are not the only means of getting to and from these locations. They are not even a primary route - so someone like the delivery person, would never come near them as they are in the backyard. I know these exact types of stairs are sold online and used all over the country. Can anyone provide any advice here? The township wants us to tear them out and make everything uniform and compliant with the interior stair standards. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Who informed you of this? Where are you -- generally, country/state/city?

• J Gold
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We are in Chester County, Pennsylvania. They reference the PA Uniform Construction Code and the ICC IRC 2009 code.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Who is "they". Is there is stair police in PA?

• J Gold
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha! No, though it feels like they are. This is the local code inspector. He came by to inspect a pool that had just gone in and then gave cited us for code violations for the landscape steps in the backyard.

• PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    6 years ago

I am not sure about any local code they may have. I can tell you this, The IBC governs 1-2 dwelling residential. They do not inspect nor have any authority for your exterior gardens, landscaping, driveway etc. They will site you for steps adjoining your house and porch after that it's hand off. I tried to find the code that you listed to no avail. I would ask to see this code first hand.

• PRO
    Design Works - Landscape Architecture & Const.
    3 years ago

I'm curious how you made out with this...I'm currently running into the same problem with these steps... TIA

• enajasereht
    3 years ago

Your government helping you live better. :-(

• enajasereht
    3 years ago

Would they be satisfied if you put a railing in? At a former house my insurance company was going to drop me unless I put in a railing immediately on my two step front stoop.

• Anna Devane
    3 years ago

I think your pool inspector is out of bounds. If these stairs don’t lead directly to a dwelling and are just “garden” steps he’s over reaching.

• rachann61
    3 years ago

I hope you get to keep them, they are beautiful

• Nicholas Preston
    last year

What happened to your wonderful stone stair?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.