kim_hu21

People in glass houses...energy efficiency anyone?

scoobyrenonewb
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Dear Houzz, I'm new to renovating so need some enlightenment. I love the look of glass and open space - but I can't get my head around having the cool or heat such a large area. So before I knock down some walls and replace them with glass would a room like this be hard to warm up in winter? How would you make it more energy efficient besides having double glazed glass?

Comments (13)

• scoobyrenonewb
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We're in Sydney, room I'm considering faces South. Not sure if that's good /bad (?)
  • macyjean
    6 years ago

That's a really helpful link oklouise has directed you to. South is bad because it doesn't help with solar access in winter and it can be prone to condensation.

scoobyrenonewb thanked macyjean
  • oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

having lived in a northern beaches Sydney home with a south facing living room it was cold and dark on overcast days and during long cold spells although modern open plan living would probably exaggerate this effect but east and west windows and/or skylights that could all be screened or shaded might be enough to brighten up the spaces without overheating during long hot periods...post a plan of the existing spaces showing compass directions to invite more specific suggestions

scoobyrenonewb thanked oklouise
  • scoobyrenonewb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for the input! That website is very informative :)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

check out Solar Skylights to add some extra day lighting to your downstairs south facing living areas...they look like round or flat ceiling lights that can significantly brighten any room but are actually solar powered lights connected to a small solar panel by a long fibre optic cable and can be DIY installed ...try Illume or Arcol brands

scoobyrenonewb thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

In the UK for example they use a lot of roof windows but these are usually double or triple glazed, super insulated walls and roof's, etc. Mainly due to lacking good natural light they need these large glazed area's. They're thermal efficiency standards are a bit higher than ours as well.

In Sydney we have cool winter's but certainly nothing like the UK. We have almost the opposite issue of heat. Therefore roof windows are not really a great idea. I'd almost say heating a house in winter is the least of your worries, for a couple months anyway. Cooling it for summer however...

Double glazing is still not on everyones list of improving their homes. Sparkles and glitter is but not many care about the efficiency of their home....

If you add large windows or doors specific double glazing as a minimum. Use thermally broken aluminium frames or timber. PVC is slowly becoming popular.

If you can insulate walls, floors and ceilings, replace existing windows and doors with double glazed this will go a long way to improving the home. An air-conditioned home or one that uses just ceiling fans can be very efficient once insulated.

scoobyrenonewb thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi MB, Velux skylights are produced in Europe and are double glazed? to suit their extreme climate

scoobyrenonewb thanked siriuskey
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

Velux perform so well they're performance is better than the majority of windows and door manufactured in Australia. Heating the space is the least of your worries. More so if the existing insulation is lacking (non existent), thin glass in existing frames, etc.

Cooling a dwelling is the biggest issue Sydneysider's have.

scoobyrenonewb thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Velux opening windows do a great job of cooling in Sydney, out Federation house had them cheers

• PRO
    Deirdre Avenell
    6 years ago

Hi Scooby,

There are several options you can look at, aside from double-glazing. There are window films and low-E glass, as well as orientation as other people have mentioned. Take a look at this story about glazing and see if any of this info helps: [Your Guide to High-Performance Glazing[(https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/windows-of-opportunity-your-guide-to-high-performance-glazing-stsetivw-vs~88456745)

scoobyrenonewb thanked Deirdre Avenell
  • scoobyrenonewb
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! That's a great article, very very informative :)

• PRO
    Deirdre Avenell
    6 years ago

You're very very welcome :) Good luck with your renovation. And don't forget to share photos when you're done!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.