wdb56

Got mid tone tropical hardwood decking material suggestion?

Pat & Bill Brown
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Midtone browns are common in interior wood but I'm having a hard time finding it in 2x8 and decking. I'd prefer to coat using a nonfilming oil and I'm open to tinting.

The following is a short list. I'd love to know your experience and selection advice to match my siding panels.

1. Cumaru
  2. Machiche
  3. Mukulunge (African Redwood)
  4. Jatoba
  5. Tiger Wood
  6. Dark Red Meranti (Phillipine Mahogany)

Bridge decking to be replaced and siding to be matched:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    6 years ago

Cumaru is an excellent option, durable in all kinds of weather. Just be aware that it can vary widely in color, ranging between red, brown, and yellow:

Furnish Me Vintage, Cumaru Siding, St. Petersburg, FL · More Info

If you don't mind the dark stripes, Tigerwood has a more consistent color than Cumaru. The stripes will mellow out over time, so they won't be quite as bombastic as you sometimes see in new project photos:

San Clemente Home- Tigerwood · More Info

We carry both of these species in 2x8:

https://www.advantagelumber.com/cumaru_decking.htm#price

https://www.advantagelumber.com/tigerwood_decking.htm#price

Pat & Bill Brown thanked AdvantageLumber.com
  • Pat & Bill Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! Perhaps, you might respond to my concerns regarding these two woods:

Cumaru: I can handle a mix of color but I've only seen samples in dark red which wouldn't work in my setting if it was the predominant color. Since I'm locked into needing a midtown brown with hints of yellow and orange, I also have some concern over it going even darker over time. I also have some lessor concern over it checking and splitting with grain rising as it ages.

Tiger Wood: The mid tone color when new seems suitable and I sort of like the stripes but I fear it being a little too orange and I've been told that it does not age gracefully. The colors become "blotchy" or "mottled", if you prefer, despite oiling. It also has a greater tendency than other decking woods to move resulting in checking, splitting, warping, bowing, crowning, etc...

The tricky thing for me about choosing a wood is the fact that I need to fit a fixed color scheme with an organic element that changes with time despite my intention to oil it regularly. I’m aware that most woods darken and eventually grey but each changes differently.

Both the above woods are possibilities. I even wonder about Garape if it is destined to darken sufficiently and appropriately with time. It’s hard for me to know. All the photos I see are of new or recently resuscitated installations but photos of weathered installations would probably be more useful. Advice from parties experienced with how woods change is also valuable.

Any further thoughts?

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    6 years ago

No problem!

In my experience, Cumaru is fairly stable. Tigerwood, however, is indeed more prone to movement after installation.

As long as you keep them from going gray, Garapa and Tigerwood will both brown up with age. Tigerwood will settle close to maroon. Garapa will end up closer to what you want, but it will take a few years and still retain much of its golden-honey color.

Cumaru is probably your best bet. If you give us a call and tell the sales rep what you need, we can actually cherry-pick from our stock to make sure you get the brown/yellow Cumaru.

• Pat & Bill Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good to know. Thanks for that info on what to expect with aging! Maroon is probably not my color.

Thanks also for the "cherry-pick" offer but your reps have told me multiple times that you don't color pick. "It's a natural product. As far as color goes, we get what you send." Can I request otherwise?

• Pat & Bill Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Though not my house, these photos show the wood siding panels in better detail in better light. Do you still vote Cumaru?

• Pat & Bill Brown
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great! Would you mind providing your name and his as well as contact info? If you'd prefer to keep your names private, you should be able to click on our photo to the left of this comment and leave a message on our page.

PS. I had requested a brown/yellow cumaru sample but was sent a red one. Not a huge deal but it takes 10 days or so to receive a sample and my building season is fading. I want to run them by my painter with the intention of experimenting with tinted penetrating oils for optimizing the color match.

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    6 years ago

Houzz doesn't actually let businesses message users unless the user follows them or initiates the conversation. So if you go to our profile and send me a message first, then I can reply back with the requested info.

• PRO
    MOSO Bamboo Products
    6 years ago

Do not hesitate to also consider Bamboo X-treme: the new generation of sustainable decking. Co2 neutral certified and without equivalent in terms of density and stability.

Cape Town Apartment · More Info

Riberach Hotel Belesta · More Info

Penthouse Briga Netanya · More Info

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.