surf4db

Problems with Rubio Monocoat

Debbie Black
6 years ago

We had our 40 year old red oak floors professionally sanded to 100 grit and then pole sanded with a 120 grit screen. We applied Rubio Monocoat Bourbon with a buffer and red pads and seemed to get all of the excess off with a buffer using white pads and following up with the white buffer pad with cotton towels. However the end result is very blotchy. It does not seem to be cloudy as many people report but it appears the wood itself has shinier spots than others and seems related to the grain of the wood. We don't know if it is an unevenness in the wood fibers/grain or possibly uneven sanding. Possibly parts of the same board taking up more finish than other parts? We are wondering if applying a second coat of rubio would help or hurt the problem. Does anyone have suggestions as to what the problem is and how we may correct it? Currently it is difficult to get a picture showing the issue but I will try in the daylight. Thank you for your input and help in deciphering this problem.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Rubio Monocoat USA
    6 years ago

Debbie,

We're sorry to hear you're having issues with your floors. Our technical dept is available to assist you in finding the proper course of action to take. They can be reached at 844-937-6862 Option 1 and are available M-F from 8-5 Eastern.

• Greg Kaminski
    4 years ago

Our Rubio Monocoat finished floors look beautiful - except where food or beverages are spilled. In these locations, the floor looks terrible. See photos of stains. These are everywhere in our kitchen and a various locations elsewhere.

I see Rubio Monocoat USA is commenting in this thread. I've heard that you plan to introduce a coating to solve this problem. Is this true?

• PRO
    Luxury Wide Plank Floors Ltd
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Again another Rubio failure. We’re seeing this more and more out there in the field. I’d reccommend sanding it all down and choosing another finish that is better suited for you. I also see Rubio is on damage control because they won’t man up and fix or reimburse homeowners. Rubio Monocoat even with two coats still won’t perform much better. Spot repairs as they claim aren’t that easy at all. They really need to pull off the market until they come out with a viable finish. $250-$275 a litre that covers 300-500 sq ft is quite rediculous. Bottom line is do your research please folks !!

• PRO
    Rubio Monocoat USA
    4 years ago

Greg, the results you are experiencing are not typical results. Wood floor finish failure can be caused by a number of variables. Our customer service team would be happy to help assess the cause and identify the best way to move forward. They are available M-F from 8am-4pm central time via Live Chat, phone or email. 844-ZERO-VOC (937-6862) info@rubiomonocoatusa.com.

In response to your question about another coating being introduced, it is not something in the works. Our finish has been successfully used in the United States for over 10 years now. When applied and maintained properly, our finish has been successful in both residential and commercial applications.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Here’s another Rubio failure forum running right now...

• PRO
    Rubio Monocoat USA
    4 years ago

We are happy to help anyone who has problems with Rubio Monocoat products.

Live Chat: Access

Phone: 844-ZERO-VOC (937-6862)

Email: info@rubiomonocoatusa.com

It is our policy not to argue with our competitors on social platforms, but for those looking for assistance, we are here and happy to discuss our products with anyone.

• Stacy Jastram
    4 years ago

Another rubio failure. Used it on my butcherblock- looked great. Had to "repair" a couple of areas. Sanded those areas with 60, 80, 100, 120, and water popped as sugested. Newly sanded areas will not accept the color. What a mess. I dont want white birch areas in my dark brown counter tops. If sanding as directed to bare wood wont get the wood to accept more oil, I am going to be stuck with crappy birch colored countertops.

Wish I had gone with a different product.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    4 years ago

Rubio is junk. Its not food safe especially if it’s a coloured oil. Sand it off and go with odies oil clear. Sand upto whatever grit you want and don’t waterpop.

• PRO
    Rubio Monocoat USA
    4 years ago

Stacy, have you reached out to customer service? We would be happy to assist with troubleshooting. Support is available M-F from 8am-4pm central.

Live Chat: Access

Phone: 844-ZERO-VOC (937-6862)

Email: info@rubiomonocoatusa.com

• Odies User
    4 years ago

Rubio is garbage. They wont help.

• kimcartyjd
    3 years ago

I agree! We noticed problems with Rubio right away. It is a thin layer with no sealer that scratched when we slid a box across the floor and the box was on a protective thin layer of cardboard. Our 20 pound dogs have scratched the floor and, since we have gone through a full year of seasons, it is apparent that the color did not penetrate the sides of the boards. Our floors didn't even last a few months! I CANNOT recommend them at all.

• PRO
    3 years ago

i wish I could help you out Kim smh

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.