dgarafa1

Need Advice On Removing An In-Ground Swimming Pool

dgarafa1
6 years ago

I have a 20 year old in ground pool with a vinyl liner that we plan to remove. Kids are gone, we are retired and summers are just too short here in central New York.

I'm in the process of identifying contractors and requesting estimates to remove the pool. One contractor I spoke with so far who has very good ratings said after removing the liner and breaking up the concrete sidewalk and putting the pieces in the bottom of the hole he would fill the majority of the rest with sand then put on topsoil and seed.

I'm a do-it-yourself but just not familiar with filling in pools or large holes. My gut reaction is that I question the use of sand to fill in the majority of the pool.

I'm hoping someone on this forum has some experience with this subject and can share your opinion and knowledge with me.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Comments (8)

• mrshanson1
    6 years ago

Are you planning to live in your house for a long period of time? If you are not, please, please do not fill it. We purchased a home a year ago. The pool was filled in the prior year. I so much wish that they had left it, or simply covered it. Now we are having to pay for a brand new pool.

I can see the hump in the grass where they filled it. We do not know how they filled it. Our house was "flipped." I am sure they threw everything from the house in there. To say the least, the backyard is a mess.

Therefore, think of your longevity with the pool.

• dgarafa1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any other thoughts or comments?

Someone must have experience filling in a pool or deep holes

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

One of my neighbors did that. I will ask them. Can you make it into a pond with a fountain? That would be easier than filling it up.

• dgarafa1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would appreciate knowing what your neighbors did.

A pond just wouldn't work but thank you for the suggestion.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I talked to my neighbor tonight. She said they used some of concrete pieces from the pool to fill the hole, then put in dirt/soil. It cost her $4000 to fill the pool (about 7-8 years ago). Her pool was cracked, had some problems when she moved in.

A pool can add value to your house.......and you're retired, you got time soaking up the sun sitting by your pool. What a nice life! Are you really ready for a life without a pool? Pool can keep you healthy......and you could have pool party with your friends, without a pool you'd only stare at each other, not much fun though........just trying to save your pool from the dirt. lol

• dgarafa1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for checking with your neighbor regarding how they removed their pool. The information is helpful and how we plan to proceed.

Yes, a pool can add value to a home if it's in an area where it can be utilized 8-9 months of the year. Unfortunately, where we live in Central NY, if the weather cooperates, we get a maximum of 3 months of pool use during our short summers and a pool is just as likely to deduct value as add it.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

You're welcome. We are in NY too not too far from you. I know what you 're talking about, the pool weather here is short. We just bought a country house that has a 18x36 in ground pool, we are only there on the weekends. It's a beautiful pool, we are going to keep it. Good luck to yours.

• PRO
    Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
    6 years ago

Your local and state codes/laws may dictate how you can remove an existing pool. Sometimes you even have to have an engineer on site to monitor the process and compaction. Visit your local Department of Planning and Growth Management/Permits for more information and consult your local pool professional.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.