suzana_zahri

Paving (or other creative, affordable) solution for my backyard

suzana_zahri
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, We are looking for paving or other creative, affordable solution that can a replacement and / or laid on top of the current blue metal gravel on our backyard. The area covered by blue metal gravel originally was just plain soil that tended to be muddy/wet from water collecting and coming down the roof - so we covered it with the porous blue metal as a temporary solution. Now we'd like to look into an affordable paving solution, potentially a porous one, most importantly easy to maintain and kids friendly - that might suit the area.. Its an approximately 6.3m x 5.3m space. Any ideas..? The blue metal is about 20mm and so uncomfortable underfoot, I hate them...however I'm not sure if its possible to mix it with other types of gravel so that it can be a base for pavers? Someone told me that they are too loose and too big to be a base and would need be removed before the area can be properly paved...is this true?

Thanks Sue

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago

You cannot just pave over it because your grade will not be right. If you used the existing gravel, you'd need to mix it with enough 'paver base' such that each piece is mostly surrounded by 'paver base.' It must end up that there are not large air spaces between the gravels as there are now. The only paving that is not some costly is old carpet turned upside down.

• PRO
    Go Pavers
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You might get away with laying flagstone and “digging it in” to that gravel, but in the long run, correct leveling, with a slight slant away from the house foundation, will direct water runoff properly.

Besides, a flat surface is both more comfortable and safer to walk on.

Consider textured pavers…

Beverly Hills - Tuscan Pool and Patio - Angelus - Holland - AFTER 9 · More Info

Or even permeable pavers…

Permeable Driveway in Los Angeles - View 7 · More Info

• PRO
    Red Berm
    6 years ago

Studio City · More Info
    2'x2' squares with gravel between. I know this is synthetic lawn I just don't normally lay gravel because it grows weeds. Also technically we lay this on a bed of sand compacted and leveled then put whatever between the pavers. It's hard to lay something "on top" of gravel but these are decently economical.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I have seen pavers like Red posted mixed in with gravel. Also flagstonrs. Not perfectly level but it was a rustic situation. Your biggest issue is proper grade for drainage. That is super importsnt no matter what materials you use.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.