orangekey

1950's Bungalow Re-Model

Before: In need of some TLC

After: Contemporary Transformation

www.orangekeyltd.co.uk

Comments (19)

• G Arnold
    6 years ago
    Looks Awesome. would you be willing to share some details... eg. prior sqm, post sqm, number rooms before and after, and finally cost range? appreciate some of that is sensitive, but TBH many of the estimation tools out there are terribly misleading... you are told to budget £1500 to £2000 per sqm and to be frank, the estimates you actually get are more like £2500-3500 per sqm for sometimes a reasonably average finish.
  • G Arnold
    6 years ago
    Thank you very much for sharing. I personally think that is a great return on investment, finish looks first class. By way of comparison I turned a very dated 3 bedroom semi-detached into a more modern, finished property (pretty much new everything, boiler, radiators, electrics, windows, doors, skirting, architraving, sockets, light fittings, plastered walls, wood burner, new bathroom and new (cheap/temporary) kitchen with no increase in sqm for around £40k... TBH in retrospect I wish I had just outsourced it all to an architect/design & build business like yourselves and taken it to another level :) hindsight is a great thing :)
  • PRO
    Orange Key Design Studios
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Gary, you're welcome.
    It sounds like you did a good job. Sometimes a consultation with a design professional can open your eyes to options you hadn't thought of; in some cases options that don't stretch the budget, and in others options that increase it for sound financial reasons. We offer local prospective clients a free consultation for just that reason.
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Oh my goodness. What a difference. Fabulous.
  • E D
    6 years ago
    Truly fantastic transformation of the exterior and I'm sure of the interior as well, even though there are no 'before' photos, the interior now looks magnificent too.
    The only small critique I have is about the misuse of the apostrophe in 1950s in your title...
    :)
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Wow is an understatement... a brilliant transformation!
  • PRO
    Averil Blundell Interior Design
    6 years ago

Stunning.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! Our client was very happy with the transformation.

• Tim Wilcox
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi OKDS,

Yes indeed, as others have commented - stunning job! My wife and I are in the process of buying a bungalow that's not just tired and dated - it's plain ugly! We're buying it because its location is good - south facing with views of the River Dart in Devon. The reason for my post is because in your reply to Gary re. the cost to transform the bungalow - you gave a figure in the 'region of £150k'. May I ask - is that 'all in' - or did the client incur other costs over and above this? (E.g. the garden landscaping.) Just to be clear, I'm only referring to the re-modeling costs, not the initial cost of buying the property.

Cheers, Tim.

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

love it!

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Tim and Rose for your comments.

Tim, sounds like you've found a gem of a project, the Dart Estuary is a fine location - we're a little bit jealous and would offer our services if we were a bit closer! In answer to your question, the project was 150k all in, however, it was completed nearly 3 years ago so you may have to think in terms of 150-200k now. We are currently working on a very similar bungalow conversion for another client and are looking at that sort of price range. Take your time and engage the services of a really good architectural design practice (preferably one like ours with structural engineers), who will be able to turn your ideas into reality and help you get the home you're after. Also, find the best tradespeople possible and (if you can) have someone project manage the job for you. Sounds very exciting - good luck! Regards, Jo at Orange Key

• Laura Thomas
    6 years ago
    Stunning transformation - can hardly believe it’s the same property!
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 years ago

Wow beautiful! What a transformation.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your comments Laura and Bathroom Eleven! With the right design (and fabulous builders) any 'ugly duckling' property can be transformed.

• Tim Wilcox
    6 years ago

Hi Jo at Orange Key,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, our budget won't go anything like as far as we'd like - or what would be necessary to retain the services of the professionals you mention. (Out with the violins folks!) So, as my wife is retired and I'm 'resting' to use an actors euphemism, we'll project manage the build ourselves. I also have 5 years experience as a landscape gardener, so I'm willing to tackle much of that side of things myself. In terms of design, we have a good idea of what we want and were thinking of engaging an architectural technician to produce finished drawings for building contractors and for local authority Building Reg's. If you're wincing at any 'red flags' in any of that - I'd appreciate your feedback. That said, there's no earthly reason for you to comment further - so no worries if you don't have the time. ;-)

Tim.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Tim,

Absolutely no problem with doing things yourself!

Please make sure that anything you plan to do falls under Permitted Development. To be on the safe side, it is probably best to speak with your local Planning Authority to check that any planned work does not require planning permission. Also, don't forget that you will (probably) need separate structural calculations produced by a Structural Engineer. When engaging a builder, go with recommendations and insist on a contract of works such as JCT Minor Works Contract or RIBA Domestic Building Contract 2014.

The best of luck from us all in the Orange Key Office!

Regards, Jo

• Tim Wilcox
    6 years ago

Hi Jo,

It's great to get impartial quality feedback from someone who doesn't stand to gain from anything we do. I really appreciate it - thank you ! Re. planning - that's one ace we have up our sleeves as that was my wife's profession, which included 15 years with the local authority (that our bungalow is covered by). Not that it will do us much good, as they may well insist on having a bat survey in the spring/summer if we tamper with the roof - which means it could be a year before PP is granted - assuming that it is. One of my oldest friends is a very experienced structural engineer - so I'm hopeful he'll sort us out at 'mates rates'. Good tips about builders - I wouldn't have thought about a contract of works, although I dare say my wife might have done given her planning experience.

Thanks again, Tim.

• PRO
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    You are very welcome Tim!
    Sounds like you've got it under control. We wish you lots of luck with the project and please do let us know how it works out.
    Kind regards, Jo
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.