t_tallett

New Ensuite looking a bit .....blah

Monica Friend
6 years ago

Hi all

The main bits of our new en suite are in, I was going for a luxury hotel/spa feel but at the moment it all looks rather blah!

The vanity is a very dark brown, the flooring is a grey with a minky tone running through it and the shower panels are travertine grey.

what needs to go in? I'm stuck.

do I keep the walls white or do I add a neutral colour? Do I need a mirror? What colour /type of blind? What colour towels and what kind of accessories will help me achieve more of the look I'm after - it's definitely not saying luxury hotel/ spa to me at the moment!

Photos taken from either end of the room, double window one side and the door the other.......

Comments (12)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Add orange. Blind and towels in orange will tone and brighten it up. Definitely need a mirror.
  • Monica Friend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks very much, can't tile but could I use wall paper to achieve a similar effect to what the tiles would do, do you think?

will start looking to get a mirror in there too

• tamp75
    6 years ago
    Def needs a mirror. How about a large floor standing plant somewhere?
  • Monica Friend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I could put one in the corner by the fixed shower panel , thank you Tamp75.

Does anyone think a colour lie dulux Egyptian cotton could warm up the room a little and make it more cohesive, it's got a grey/beige tone to it ..... I think??

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

No radiator? or is it underfloor heating?. You need something to hang your towels to dry. Can't see any electrics other than maybe something opposite the door. Have a look at some of the large battery operated mirrors ( Soak.com do some ).

A mirror over the sink, a nice glass shelf underneath for some colourful accessories?

I'd definitely paint all the walls.

• PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd
    6 years ago

I would go for big mirror across wall with vanity/mirror, maybe some LEDS top and bottom to create light feature, some shelves with features also will work great.

• Monica Friend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, great pic, this is the vision I just don't have thank you so much!

There is underfloor heating and we are all electric here so there will be a heated towel rail going in ... somewhere too.

any opinion on a wall colour/ tone and or a bathroom towel colour?

At the end of the project and lost all ability to make a decision!

• honeypoppet
    6 years ago

Hi Monica,

One thing you often notice about luxury hotel bathrooms is that they are very dark - like the photo colourhappy posted. Dark colours, especially when teamed with golds and other metals do tend to feel more opulent, so I would use a wallpaper/paint to create a 'cocoon' effect, I think it would really change the room and give you fresh inspiration for what other accessories you might want to put in there.

You could also look on boutique hotel websites for ideas - www.slh.com etc.

Hope this helps!

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi Monica. I like the bathroom, it just needs accessorising. I'd also decorate in a warmer, darker colour. I agree with honeypoppet that a wallpaper could work well if in budget. A faux grasscloth or something with the appearance of texture could work if the room is well ventilated and use a decorators varnish over the top (I'd check the finish on a sample first though). I'd also add shelves over the loo and a mirror (this is Graham and green, they also have an oval version but may be a tad short, hard to tell!). I'd continue with the dark wood for shelves and also a stool in front of the shower (puji) which you can accessorise. Just wondering if a towel shelf would work well in the shower as you can stack towels and it gives the look you're after, what's the shower width? Perhaps also some wall mounted dispensers for the shower? Add an orchid on the window sill and accessories for the stools and shelves such as small plant, candles, natural sponge, diffuser, loofah etc. I'd go for a patterned Roman blind for the window, cotton is probably better. If it's to be hung in the recess then bring it forward of the glass a little to avoid it getting damp

• Monica Friend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Minnie you are a genius, those ideas are brilliant. You are right, I do need to bring that dark wood in somehwhere - I hadn't realised it but you are right! Thank you so much. Would you have an opinion on a suitable wall colour? I realise it would be dependant on the wallpaper but as it stands anything that springs to mind? I could then find a suitable wallpaper afterwards.....

• Monica Friend
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about 1 or two of these above the toilet Minnie? I can get some nice bits on there and a few towels?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.