acm_redfox

Is this regular plumbing pipe?

acm
6 years ago
just wondering about the material and how it will hold up or discolor over time...
Timber Stairs · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Mast & Co. Builders
    6 years ago

This is galvanized water pipe, it will dull out a little over time but will not rust except at the threads which will need some treatment to prevent rust.

acm thanked Mast & Co. Builders
  • acm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

awesome, thanks! I'm not even sure rust at the threads is a down-side, but I like a smoother bar to run a hand along.

• PRO
    Mast & Co. Builders
    6 years ago

you can use black pipe as well but it requires a lot of degreasing and tends to be marred up by manufacturing and handling. often getting a custom made 1-1/4 tube rail from a fab shop can be pretty competitive when you consider the cost of all the pipe fittings and the labor, especially if you don't powder coat and just finish with some wax or laquer. Every commercial and multi family building has a pile of them so the shops get good at it.

acm thanked Mast & Co. Builders
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.