heron3

Need help finding a reliable frontloading washer gas dryer...

heron3
6 years ago

Frustrated trying to replace my washer and dryer. I went on C-net, Consumer Reports, Top Ten Reviews, and some appliance store blogs trying to find a washer and dryer that is highly rated for performance and reliability. Review sites rate certain brands and models high and then reviews from people who actually own the appliances have nothing but bad things to say about them! I might as well just pick a brand by throwing a dart at a dartboard! Consumer Reports likes Kenmore Elite but people complain about them and the lack of service on the warranties. C-Net likes the Korean brands LG and Samsung, and Yale Appliance in Boston says that their service department records show that Maytag Appliances (the higher end of Whirlpool) need less repairs than other brands, have better customer service and a shorter turn around time for parts because everything is made in the U.S. rather than Korea. However, people who own Maytag and Whirlpool washers complain about mold build-up in their front-loading washers and and people who own their dryers complain about rust in the drum from poor welds that mark up your clothes! These are the reasons that I need to replace my Whirlpool washer and dryer. Even though I religiously follow the manufacturer's instructions to wipe out the door gasket and run their special maintenance cycle with bleach each month, I still get mold build-up in the soap dispenser area of the machine and my dryer has left rust streaks on our clothes! Thus, I am not inclined to purchase machines from Maytag or Whirlpool again. Anyone out there have any advice to point me in the right direction?

Comments (4)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a whirlpool set, just purchased this spring. I buy from a local mom and pop store whose customer service is top notch, and whose service department I trust.

heron3 thanked User
  • dadoes
    6 years ago

Regards to Kenmore Elite, keep in mind that Sears doesn't manufacture anything directly. All their products are sourced from other manufacturers. Kenmore and Kenmore Elite (which is just marketing for their higher-end line) laundry products are sourced variously from Whirlpool, LG, Samsung, GE, and Electrolux. The first three digits of the FULL model number (before the period ... syntax of xxx.xxxxxxxx) is a code for the source manufacturer. Decoding charts can be found via online search for "sears manufacturer codes."

heron3 thanked dadoes
  • MiMi
    6 years ago

Beware of reviews on Home Depot web site. I tried to post a not so favorable review on a carpet cleaner and they rejected it. Seems they only want good reviews to show up from my experience

• PRO
    Davidson Organizing, LLC
    6 years ago

I'm looking for recommendations for new front loading washer/dryer from someone who likes theirs and also has done the research on their reliability.

We bought a Whirlpool Duet front loading set in 2006 and sold them with the house this summer. Never had a single problem. Loved them. I did leave the washer door open to dry, and we had the lint cleaned once in the dryer vent, but otherwise didn't do any maintenance and never needed a repair. My kids ran them with too much detergent or softener without an issue.

When we moved into a rental, we bought new LG front loading set this summer from Sears online and the washer leaked from the start. Sears and LG have horrific customer support. Finally after the Sears warranty ran out (yet still leaking), LG sent in their trained repair technician who tried multiple fixes too. The latest "fix" was to counsel me to use half the recommended amount of detergent. That does seem to have solved the problem as we no longer have a floor covered in water after running 5 loads. But he said the LG products are extremely finicky and require that you do weekly and monthly maintenance. I couldn't believe the lengthy list of things that the LG service person on the phone said I had to do to keep it from leaking, including wiping the interior gasket down after every load. I had hoped to have my son do his own laundry, as did my older children when we had the Duets but the LG is too particular for anyone but me to use. So, when we move out of our rental next summer and into our next home, I'm thinking about selling them, cutting my losses, and buying something new. Our appliance sales person for our kitchen appliances is recommending Electrolux. I was thinking of going back to the Whirlpool Duet, but I've also learned that just because a brand was good 10 years ago, doesn't mean it's the same now. I told him how we loved our Bosch dishwashers over the past 20 years, and he said he no longer sells them as they aren't what they used to be.

We had a Consumer Reports membership for years but I found that it wasn't very useful as it was testing things that didn't matter to me and it was weighing stuff in its reviews in a different way than I would.

heron3 thanked Davidson Organizing, LLC
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.