sputnikous

Washer Advice Needed: LG vs. Electrolux

sputnikous
6 years ago

Dear Houzzers,

I have read numerous posts here re:Electrolux's 2nd floor guarantee and that had convinced me to make Electrolux our new washer.... then I come to find out that this guarantee is no longer offered (since 12/31/16?)?

Now I am choosing between the following 2 washers:

Electrolux LuxCare EFLS617SIW

and

LG TurboWash Series WM5000HWA

I am particularly concerned with vibration as this is going into a cabinet. Our current LG washer (circa 2008) walks and vibrates terribly since we got it with our home in 2013 (don't know about its behavior pre '13). We've done all the obvious re-balancing, etc, to no effect and have given up putting it in the cabinet as we're afraid it will damage the walls. So: which of the above would you recommend given in-cabinet placement (plenty of room behind the unit, only about 1/2" on either side).

Thank you for any advice!

Comments (15)

• rpsinfoman
    6 years ago

The thing to keep in mind with all FL machines is they all can be rough. Sometimes its just the load mix, the way it gets balanced, the speed, the flooring, etc. None of them rarely are completely smooth and vibration free 100% of the time. In a tight fitting cabinet could be problematic.

• sputnikous
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Turns out LG TurboWash Series WM5000HWA gets soap added from the top, so it can't be in an enclosed cabinet.... looking at the next model down now:

LG WM4370

RPSinfoman:

My laundry looks something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1c/76/8c/1c768c37f110cd02cc801011e2d1f3d3--laundry-room-cabinets-laundry-room-countertop-ideas.jpg

washer, dryer in a cabinet side by side..... I keep seeing this layout all over the place so it must work with some washer, no?

• littlegreeny
    6 years ago

I suggest watching the wash action of an Electrolux vs LG on youtube to see what you like better. Electrolux washers have gotten poor ratings for gentleness.

If I had to choose between those two, I would definitely pick the LG WM4370. The turbo wash function of the LG's is really nice and they aren't rough on your laundry.

• pcweary
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As an owner of the 617 for over a year now, I have found it to be exceptionally good on all fabrics and types of items. No piling, snags, stretching or shrinkage. It is a wonderful washer. The best I have ever owned.

Second floor guarantee is still being offered for this machine purchased between 1/1/17-12/31/17, according to Electrolux website.

• rpsinfoman
    6 years ago

I am sure it will work, jusr make sure its not a flush tight fit.

• Dayna Black
    6 years ago
    I had actually ordered the Electrolux washer dryer combo however there was some confusion with the warehouse and they sent the LG model for my delivery. They offered to bring the LG, discount a couple hundred dollars and offered to return with the Electrolux if I was not completely happy. it has been 5 months and I wouldn't think of changing. The salesman went above and beyond and I am more than satisfied. Mine are stacked and against a wall....I never notice vibration at all.
  • enduring
    6 years ago

What kind of floor do you have? My Miele instructions say to place the washer along a load bearing wall, if placing on a wood flooring system. In other words at the end of the joists in your floor. I imagine that would be good advise for all machines. If a machine is set in the middle of a joist span, it will bounce like a trampoline.

sputnikous thanked enduring
  • sputnikous
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is going in the basement on a cement floor with tile laid over it. The old (2008) LG that is there dances all over the place.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Sputnious, that is just weird. To me that tells me the machine is not well made, that the weight of the clothes is throwing it off balance. That shouldn't be happening. I could be wrong.

Concrete is the best surface for a washer.

• livebetter
    6 years ago

If it's walking on a concrete floor than perhaps it's not balanced properly. I have the MieleXL machines in a basement on tile over concrete and they don't move at all. The Miele have cast iron in them so probably weight more as well. I've heard good things re the Electrolux. My mom has an entry level LG she has in a second story laundry no issues. She's been very happy with them.

• sputnikous
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Our old LG machine has been leveled many times. With a large bubble level and a laser level. It moves most when perfectly level. We actually have to tilt it slightly to reduce the movement. There is something wrong with the machine, I am sure, but with all the sales, why bother paying for even the repairperson/man/woman to come out?

I followed the above poster's advice and looked at YouTube and saw this:

https://youtu.be/UnW3fl2Wj0Q

and this

https://youtu.be/Rrn0wqoHeD8?t=334

Granted the second link is not the exact LG washer I am looking at, but the Electrolux video worried me enough to make me lean towards LG. Note that the poster of the Electrolux video does say the washer *was* leveled by her and the 3 separate repairman that came out.

• PRO
    Davidson Organizing, LLC
    6 years ago

I bought the LG WM5000HVA in July and absolutely HATE it. It leaks intermittently and has already been replaced once. Sears and LG repair people have tried replacing various parts and nothing works so the final verdict is operator error. As in I use too much detergent. I use Persil HE detergent and fill it no more than to the normal line. LG rep on the phone said that was too much. Dog hair seems to clog up things. I have to water down the softener four:one and alternate using vinegar. The cycle lengths are horribly long, but when I've tried the turbo (speed) cycle, that's when it usually leaks. You have to wipe our the gasket after last load and leave the door ajar. That is all too much maintenance. I've had front loading Whirlpool Duet's in three homes since 2002 and never had an issue or needed to do any maintenance except leave the door ajar. But my trusted sales person is steering me towards an Electrolux ELS617STT over the Whirlpool Duet again.

I do not notice vibrations, but ours is mounted on the LG sidekick washer. Which I also don't like because there is no way to dry it out and I can see mold building up over time. I did use it for my son's soccer uniform that had to be washed several times a week, but it's really just a nice thing to have and I don't see the need for it.

• Beth Trombley
    6 years ago

sputnikous -thank you for your original post (Nov 2017) and your follow up post 2/6/18. I have spent the last several days researching E-lux ELS617 vs others and you have helped me make my decision!

• sputnikous
    Original Author
    6 years ago

welcome, glad to have helped!

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.