torneyteam

update for 70s villa entry and garden bed

torneyteam
6 years ago
Hi Houzz community! I am trying to pretty up my unfortunate porch area and have a few problems. We are in a strata complex so as much as I'd like to, can't do anything to change the bricks or porch tiles or door colour on the villa. So we are stuck with our porch area pretty much as is. Secondly, the little garden bed faces west (in Sydney) so part of it is always covered by the little awning, but the front gets a blast of hot westerly sun in the afternoons which makes growing plants very tricky. Also, no water outlets nearby, so I am pretty bad at regular watering. I had a bunch of succulents in there for a while but they just looked messy, then I had 3 weeping Lilly Pillies which were nice but one died so they all had to go. Would love something a bit tall to hide what's behind it as we can see this area from the living room. Any ideas of what might be hardy and attractive, and any other ideas generally for this area? Thank you very much!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    RJP Design and Decor
    6 years ago
    I would suggest some taller pots of varying heights for up near the front door amber glass where you currently have plants. This would assist with drawing the eye and positive energies towards the front door - great and inviting for visitors! Secondly I would get a trio piece of outdoor art which reflects some of the colours in your pots on the wall opposite your window again this will provide a homely feeling and be something to view through the window from the inside. Alternatively an outdoor rug for the porch area that might have a bolder geographic design and a monochromatic colour way. The garden in the steps I was wondering if some drought tolerate grasses would be nice? There are some with reds, purples and lush greens? This would provide visual appeal plus setting the "relaxed, friendly" occupants inside??
  • Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    I think agave in your planter box would look great, a single beautiful pot at front door , use larger succulents and keep to one species for a more uniformed look, a fabulous mirror on the wall and new mat would add instant wow factor, set your watch to remind yourself to water them , even though they are hardy they need tlc also to keep looking great.
  • torneyteam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you to you both, I love all these ideas! I hadn't even considered putting any artwork or mirrors on the wall, but that's a great idea, as is a taller pot near the door. Thank you for these great thoughts, I'll have some fun looking around at pots and plants on the weekend!

• Dusk
    6 years ago
    Hi! I really like your front entrance & the red brick is really lovely. If you could get something growing in that garden bed it would make a big difference to the overall look. Just a suggestion but have you consulted with a good nursery on what plants would suit that spot best & how to prepare the soil etc. for planting. Not sure what your soil is like but my grandpa planted some proteas in a garden bed exactly like yours and they look amazing. There is a lot of variety in colour and form in the protea family & once they get going they are usually really hardy and look stunning. All the best!
  • torneyteam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much, I don’t know much about proteas so will check them out. Sounds like something different for sure! My local nursery just suggests succulents so it will be fun to investigate something new! Thank you very much!
  • Dusk
    6 years ago
    They come in different colours and are good for narrow garden beds. :)
  • torneyteam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much, Another lovely idea. One of my neighbours has some of that in front of their villa and I looks gorgeous but they have a north facing in-ground garden area so I hadn’t thought about it for mine. Thank you!
  • Ai Jaedee
    6 years ago

Install laser cut panels to reduce heat & provide shade. Further down the track, demolish front entrance & bring it forward towards steps. Build a new door way with a solid large door & glass panels on either side.

• denisemander
    4 years ago

I would dig out and replace the existing soil in planter box, i have used the native grass Lomondra lime in a similar situation and it has grown very well and only requires an occasional water. It will grow 30-40 cm high.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.