gary_dickinson42

Glass Splashback Conundrum

Gary Dickinson
6 years ago

Hi

Just had a new kitchen fitted compromising Cashmere gloss handleless units and Silestone Blanco Maple workstops and upstands, and black appliances and extractor.

I need to a small glass splashback to go behind the hob which sit on the the top of the quartz upstand and go up to the extractor.

I am really struggling choosing a colour for the splashback as want something that complements the whole look, ideally wanted something smoky but not really seen anything that grabs me.

Do you have any suggestions for colours that go well, e.g. in the RAL colour range?

Attached picture for location and impression but colours don't render well.

Comments (17)

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    I think more Silestone would look the most seamless
  • PRO
    Opun
    6 years ago

Hi there! I agree with the first comment. Either go for a statement or make it subtle. In the latter case, we would suggest you go for the colour of your work top.

The Opun Team

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I agree with Jonathan and Opun, it's a small area and matching the worktop and up stand would be best. I don't think it's tall enough to warrant a change of material.

• Gary Dickinson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am feeling like I've made a mistake now not going for the Silestone as the splashback and unfortunately the supplier can't get any in the UK at the moment as the suede finish was a special order. I think I am going to have to continue down the glass route. I also need a large piece for the utility too which has a standard worktop, not Silestone, to keep the cost down (similoar pattern though).

• PRO
    Opun
    6 years ago

Hey Gary, Nothing lost yet! You can still make it look sleek, if you get glass with a back colour that matches your worktop. It will still look great! :)

Opun

• Yasmin Y
    6 years ago
    Another option might be an XL tile in a similar colour to your worktop - you can get them as big as 60 or 70 cm. Thinking of doing this for my own backsplash as I’ve spent too much on the actual worktop!
  • julesrbennett
    6 years ago
    Asifa - what worktop do you have? We're about to install this colour kitchen and trying to decide on worktop colours and love the marbled effect.
  • A S
    6 years ago
    We've paired the cashmere units with a driftwood worktop and splashback - adds lots of interest to the plain gloss cabinets.

I do however like marble and thinks it looks very effective.
  • PRO
    Sara Levy Designs
    6 years ago

What about a stainless steel panel?

• PRO
    West London Kitchens
    6 years ago

Agree - think a stainless steel panel would look amazing and totally take away the colour match/contrast dilemma.

• Mandy Ross
    6 years ago
    Don’t know what colour this is exactly but I think it would go with your colour choices
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, the picture is showing very narrow area so it is hard to decide what would be the best choice. I am afraid the small piece of glass splashback, especially if sits on the Silestone upstand and is very close to large door may look unbalanced. The solution could be bespoke splashback all the way between wall units and upstand. In such case, you could bring some colour to the kitchen to optimize the look of it, perhaps very light yellow. If you think the short piece will work then maybe clear glass with some crystals pattern, not too busy but creating a statement.

• Lynn Lynn
    6 years ago
    We have cashmere gloss units, white worktops & black glass splashback, it looks great & was cost effective- the black ties in with the hob etc & reflects back into the room. Excuse the mess in the picture!!!
  • Gary Dickinson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I'm not quite there yet in deciding. Pale grey or even silver glass would go reasonably well, I also do like the idea of the stainless steel though as it would go with other appliances, light fittings, switches and sockets etc. The question then would be whether I take it up the wall the width of the hob and extractor (900mm) or the width of the pan drawer unit (1000mm) to give some over-splash protection. What do you think?

• PRO
    Sara Levy Designs
    6 years ago

It can look cool sometimes to go up to the extractor and up the sides a bit, like I did with this splashback. In your case you may need to go window to window as well- it will be hard to decide where to stop otherwise.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

The new picture explained the area better. I have marked the shape of the splashback. Question for you what colour you want to have.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.