boilermarti

White or grey grout for subway tiles

boilermarti
6 years ago

I love this forum! I get such great advice! Thanks in advance. I am finishing off this subway tile and am debating if we want white or greyish grout? It is a very white kitchen with white cabinets and Bianco Drift quartz. Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Comments (27)

• sonni1
    6 years ago

I vote for grey - not a dark grey perhaps. Not only do I think it would look better, but with my history with grout - white! yikes!

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

I think a light gray would look nice and tie in with your countertops.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

Light grey grout is my vote.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Match tile color.
  • PRO
    Andreas Letkovsky Architecture
    6 years ago

white all the way!

• PRO
    Andreas Letkovsky Architecture
    6 years ago

Keep it Clean looks great!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Any color in grout will highlight all edges. Busy look. Can work but probably not best choice with your other elements. Match white of tiles.
  • simplify52
    6 years ago

We had the very same dilemma but ended up going with medium gray grout and I really do love it. It's not busy at all and I'm picky. I don't see any uneven grout lines at all. In the end, we are very happy with the outcome.

• Joann
    6 years ago
    I vote for white, I just think white on white is beautiful! Go with your heart, pick the color you like best.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

I vote for white unless you want the grout to become a design element. I don't think you need that. Is that what you want? Good luck to you, hope it all comes out exactly like you've always dreamed!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

White.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 years ago

I would go with white! You can always add color to the kitchen in other ways!

• acm
    6 years ago

White for the new section to match the white on the old section.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    6 years ago

Another vote for white.

• Natalie
    6 years ago

White!

• Brayden Popke
    6 years ago
    I think a light grey grout would have a really beautiful look! Good luck!!
  • PRO
    VersaTile Interiors
    6 years ago

I always like to use a very light, powdery, silver gray. My favorite is a color by Bostik (Hydroment) called Silver Bullet. Another company makes one that is almost identical called Silver Shadow. Tec Silverado will work but it is a bit darker.

That being said, white can work, too. However, maintenance is much harder because white shows EVERYTHING. It never stays white. If it were my kitchen, I would use Silver Bullet with no second thoughts.

• PRO
    VersaTile Interiors
    6 years ago

acm makes a good point. I did not notice that you were only grouting the first course. Because the rest of the backsplash is white, it only makes sense to finish with white. Seal it after the grout dries. It will make cleaning easier.

• PRO
    The Proposed Plan
    6 years ago

White!

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Silver Shadow grout from Lowes might be a nice option, it a preference thing and I'd probably go light silver grey colour, just a slight contrast
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

I like the white!

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

I like white!

• PRO
    Peltier Building and Renovation LLC
    6 years ago

Aesthetically, I usually suggest white grout with white subway to allow the countertop stone to stand out. However, functionally, given that it will be susceptible to both grease from the stove, and wiping residue when cleaning the top, I always offer a light grey as an attractive option...

• PRO
    BANDD DESIGN
    6 years ago

White is probably going to work best.

• PRO
    FreshCoat Painters Sarasota/Manatee
    6 years ago

I vote for a light gray.

• Linda Stacey
    6 years ago

I did a light color with the small hexagon white tiles. None of them pop. I was going to do darker but the tile guys convinced me that was bad. No way. I'm now trying to change it to a medium gray to match the stainless steel color in my kitchen. I like the tiles to pop. It looks cool. Even black can be very cool. I've seen lot of designers do that.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.