sparklybloom

Recessed or hidden undercabinet lights?

Jade Byng
6 years ago

I have handleless wall cabinets and don’t want to have any sort of pelmet or extra panels on them. I want lighting underneath, but don’t want to be able to see it. Is it possible to get lights put into the bottom of the cupboards without messing up the storage inside?

Comments (11)

• yvonne1958
    6 years ago

Me again, should check before posting!! The metal strip is attached to the base of the units NOT the doors

• Jade Byng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What sort of lights are they? Would they be good enough to use as task lighting? I wonder whether the metal strip would look quite visible underneath wall cupboards.

• yvonne1958
    6 years ago

They were recommended to me by the company that made my kitchen. You can find them on Facebook, the company is called Kitecraft and they have a Facebook page. I wanted a “floating” island impression so the kick board was recessed and the lights were fitted. They are strip LED lights. Give Kitecraft a call and tell them that you’re interested in the lights that Yvonne had fitted under her island, they’ll remember me!!!

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    The new LED undercabinet lights are only 4mm thick. This is so discrete that you don’t need a pelmet to hide them.
    Search online for slim undercabinet LED light
    Jade Byng thanked Jonathan
  • Jade Byng
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Are these the kind of thing you mean? https://www.simplelighting.co.uk/recti-super-slim-5w-led-cabinet-light/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInuTmkKjh2AIV6p3tCh39wgnrEAQYAiABEgL07fD_BwE#fo_c=1144&fo_k=fdffac8f80afb709fa857b6d93df443e&fo_s=gplauk

They look perfect. Are these sort of things bright enough to use as task lighting or are they more for ambience?

• yvonne1958
    6 years ago

Those aren’t the ones I meant but they look as though they would do the job you want them to.

• PRO
    Colville Design Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi there,

Are you still looking for some advice?

For lighting under the cabinets, I strongly advice strip led lights, as it gives you the perfect lighting you desire and it looks great! An image of your kitchen will also help in order to give the best advice for you. Would you also consider having an alternative lighting for your kitchen?

• PRO
    Heart Of Your Home Kitchens Ltd
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Design Studio · More Info

Hi

LED strip lighting is perfect for under handleless wall units, it is so discreet and can create such a beautiful atmosphere if correctly installed.

I have used LED lighting in numerous installations and in my showroom for under worktops and plinths. I have even used it in feature ceilings for certain installations.

It is such a versatile product.

I hope this helps!

• PRO
    AVINU - Home Technology
    6 years ago

The use of LED tape is very versatile and relatively easy to incorporate into cabinetry, some top tips:
    - Think about where you locate your lighting driver as some tapes need to have this relatively local
    - Always place tape on the aluminium profile as this prolongs it's life and performance
    - Most will come with a diffuser that will eliminate 'spotting' of the individual LED and give a smooth light spread on the surface/wall
    - If you have a few lighting scenes then consider some lighting control like Lightwave

• PRO
    Culina
    6 years ago

LED strip lighting with a handleless wall unit its fairly easy to retrofit and discreet. You will need a driver and of course a switch or even better go wireless. Used under unit for work task lighting, worktop and plinth lighting its very versatile. Most showrooms have this type of lighting on display in some form or other. If your nearby pop in and see us.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.