163hrd

Could you please tell me how the shower is entered?

163 hrd
6 years ago
I am wondering if the shower door swings inward and, if so, what hinges were used? I am having difficulty convincing builders that this is possible, even though it is common for shower doors in the US to swing both directions. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.
Scandinavian / Italian apartment, Hampstead, London NW3 · More Info

Comments (3)

• Dani Lee
    6 years ago

Hi there,

It's an outward opening hinged door.

The photo angle is slightly misleading because the door panel is hinged in front of the WC pan to allow it to open to just beyond 90 degrees without touching the pan. In reality, we rarely open doors even as far as 90 degrees.

In your case, if the toilet pan projects out further than the inline panel the door is hinged from, that may well be very tricky to avoid impacting the WC.

Another option could be a sliding door, but you'l need an enclosure width of at least 1100mm to achieve a wide enough door opening.

Hope that helps a little.

163 hrd thanked Dani Lee
  • PRO
    DCL Interior Design LLP
    6 years ago

Sorry, I meant to also say that you may be able to have an inward-opening door in the US, however UK building regs either prevent or frown against inward openers. This is because if a person were to collapse in the shower, it would be impossible to open the door to get them out if their body was slumped against it.

163 hrd thanked DCL Interior Design LLP
  • 163 hrd
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you, I will keep looking. The doors in the US will open either way with 180 degree hinges so there is no safety issue. People just normally open them inwards when showering to catch the drips. I have searched extensively and can find nothing on the subject in UK building regs. There is a quadrant shower with 2 inward swinging doors on display in my local bathroom showroom so I may just go with that one...

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.