wim1978

Turn my basement into a bar

Wim
10 years ago
Hi there,

I need help with my basement. Me and my wife built a home last year, and we made a basement underneath our house.
I want to make a bar/chilling room/game room/ familly room/cinema (multifunctional). Only problem is: I'm not that great at interior decorating. So I was wandering if anyone here could help me.

I've posted the layout of my floorplan (the measures are in meters, because I live in Holland). Also important to konw is that the complete floorplan is there to be used (the sauna etc are not installed). If you have any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!

Greetings Wim

Comments (40)

• Shelby Albritton
    10 years ago
    Pictures?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Try saving the floor plan as jpeg file.
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sorry guys the link to my floorplan failed.....here it is (the measures are meters)
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanx! olldbobbi !!! There's a lot of inspiration there!
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Wonderful! I'm happy you found it helpful!
  • PRO
    Prestige Saunas Ltd
    10 years ago
    What would you like the sauna to look like
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hoi Wim,
    wat een luxe (voor Nederlandse begrippen) dat je zo'n grote kelder hebt :-)

I can't read the measurements, they are a bit too small on screen. But generally I'd put the lounge area towards the sauna part of the basement and the bar area towards the entry part.

Do you have windows in there? Could you post pictures of it as it looks like now? Just so that we can get an idea of the entire space.
    And is there a floor in place already or do you have ideas for that?
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Prestige Saunas....phew don't know the style I want to give the sauna, but first I want to make me a bar etc. After that job is done I'm looking to make me a sauna. But first things first
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ Carolins...leuk een Nederlander hier op deze site! ;-)

I've got 3 little windows in the area...one behind the place where the sauna is placed, and two in the large room.
    I only have one picture taken by my phone and it's not that clear (see attachment).

The big space is about 10,50 meters long by 9 meters wide (so it gives you an idea of the space)

At the floor I'm thninking to make a wooden floor suitable for floorheating. (In my oppinion a bar must have a wooben floor)

Thanks for your tips Carolins, the fotowalls look great indeed and the "rewood" looks really awesome. I was thinking to make one wall out of stone strips (just like this reewood idea) but now you showed me this I'm in doubt of what to do!

Thanx!
  • PRO
    B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
    10 years ago
    What a lovely, wide open area for a bar! And the brick is a great accent feature--you can build off of it very easily. We build homes with large basements like this and its fun to get creative with it. Below I've posted pictures of our most popular layouts and features for the basement/bar/etc. Perhaps they will inspire you:
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow B.L. Rieke ... looks great indeed! love the bar and the wooden beams
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    10 years ago
    Here are a few of my favorite home bar designs, maybe they will inspire you…

North Oaks - Traditional Remodel · More Info

North Oaks - Traditional Remodel · More Info

Minnetrista Basement · More Info

Minnetrista Basement · More Info

Stillwater - Farmhouse New Home · More Info

Stillwater - Farmhouse New Home · More Info
    Wim thanked Dura Supreme Cabinetry
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Yeah, that wood paneling does look interesting. I have no experience with it, found it on the internet. It will give a warmer atmosphere than stone I think. If you're near their showroom you could take a look.
    The other paneling I've seen in the Gamma and that looked really good. More of a sleek/chic look.
    Not sure what style you'd like to go for. I was thinking more modern, but perhaps you like the traditional look of the bars Dura posted?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Oh... and how about an electrical fire in the relax area?

Milton · More Info

Willoughby Way · More Info

Jimmy Jacobs Custom Homes - Vintage Oaks · More Info
    Wim thanked Carolina
  • roosterdavis
    10 years ago
    Here's my basement bar. Can't really say I did any design on it. The ceiling has been redone since the photo with much better lighting. But it looks like a North Woods tavern in 1963
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @ roosterdavis, that looks like a fun place to hang out. What instrument do you play?
    Wim thanked Carolina
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ carolins....thanks again, I want to create an atmosphere which is modern but still cosey. lots of natural products (stone, wood) with a dark (grey) on the walls combined with your woodpanels or stones. Now I'm looking for old barnwood to make the doors and make the bar. Does anyone know where to buy barnwood?
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh I forgot...there will be a fireplace to...also made out of stone (with a headmount/antlers on it). I'm thinking to buy a fire place witch burns on liquid fuel (cause you don't need a lot of installation that way)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Houthandel (niet de doe-het-zelf ketens) of Marktplaats? Veel houthandels adverteren ook op Marktplaats. Of gebruikte steigerplanken? (ook te vinden op Marktplaats). Hiephoi voor Marktplaats ;-)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/z.html?query=ruw+houten+planken&categoryId=0&postcode=9756CE&distance=0
  • decorare123
    10 years ago
    I love this!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Okay, so... not to scale, but here's a layout that could be good for your basement?
    Top left as bar area with a pool or billiards table?
    Bottom left; relax area, long low sectional. TV on sauna wall so it is also visible from the bar area.
    Bottom right: fireplace with a couple of comfy chairs.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Haha...oops, forgot to add the drawing:
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Have you thought about having a poured resin floor with underfloor heating in that entire space? (gietvloer)
    I know you were thinking about wood, but I just thought I'd throw this option at you :-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Too modern?
    Wim thanked Carolina
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi carolins,

Great ideas, and no, not to modern at all....like the moodboard you made! Also like the adds you sent me....(ook weer geleerd dat een resin floor een gietvloer is) . I thought about a resin floor but due to the fact its a basement im afraid this would make the sound in the basement start to echo. Thats why i bought a wooden floor this week. Now ive seen your drawing I will place the fire place over there.....thank you for the things you did....great inspiration.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi Wim,
    Glad you liked it. If you've bought the wooden floor (what kind? Just out of curiosity :-)), I wouldn't do a wooden wall too I think. But you could do that same effect in stone along that long wall where I put the fireplace. I thought that the layout I suggested was the best one, although I don't really like that the door to the toilet is in that corner too.
    Hmm...
    Where did you originally plan to have your TV and fireplace?
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought an oak floor (grey wash). Im in doubt wheter to do wood on the wall to or not. i like barnwood a lot the atmosphere it creates is just awesome (but its quite expansive). The door to the toillet isnt there. I thought it was better to make a double door in the middle in stead of 2 seperate doors (see picture) also the sauna, the toilet arnt installed (dont think i will make a toilet in my basement etc.)
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Originally i placed the fire place where you drew the couch
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh grey washed oak is gorgeous.

And if it is possible, I would put a toilet there. Especially if you decide to have a sauna there. (Beter mee verlegen dan óm verlegen ;-))

If you say 'barnwood', do you mean something like this?
    Rustic Office Reception Area · More Info

Tribeca Loft · More Info

Cool! Look what I came across while looking for a barnwood picture:
    High Alpine Ranch Home Theater · More Info
    Wim thanked Carolina
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow those pictures are great. Below there are some pictures (moods) of the materials I'm going to use...light grey wash oak flooring, barnwood doors+bar+some wall, stone panels behind the bar + fireplace and steel framed doors for an "arcade" area.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh wow, looking cool. Beautiful doors, both the wood and the steel ones.
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the wooding on the wall is your idea. thank you for that! The contractor starts in a week or 3. If the results are there I'll post the pictures....
  • Wim
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    by the way I didn't place a toilet because there are a lot of problems with these systems. The sewer system is higher under ground then the toilet is. So you have to make a pump etc. If this thing is broke or something like that....you get the point....right above the stairs is a toilet so I prefer to use that one :-)
  • roosterdavis
    10 years ago
    @carolins, regarding what instrument I play: drums. Little slow on the response.
  • Jen
    10 years ago
    Our basement is our family room/bar area. The bar is at the very end with cabinetry on the end of the wall and then a island in front! Then at the other end its is the tv area! It works out well.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.