jesusjonas

Home renovation - loft conversion in the future

Jonas James
6 years ago

We are currently planning a 2 storey rear extension. There is currently a large loft area which we would like to convert also but due to budget restrictions will have to be something we do in 5-10 years time.

Is there anything we can incorporate into our current plan/build that would reduce the amount of disruption with building work later on when we are able to afford to construct a complete loft conversion?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Aflux Designs
    6 years ago

to be honest the work will be fairly disruptive even if you try to accommodate. one area which you need to take into account for is where the stairs will be as this could eat up into one of your rooms/hallway. if you can account for this, it could help. Speak to your builders and see what they advise. However also speak to them to see if there is space in the loft so that the ceilings of your second floor can remain untouched

• Jonas James
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Aflux

spoke to the builder and architect today and one solution is to put the new joists into the loft as part of this phase 1 renovation. The architect said it wouldn't add that much to the cost but the builder said it would be ... Think I need to get both of them together and work it out!

• PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

Hi Jonas, I would suggest that you get an architectural plan that incorporates both phase 1 (pre 2-storey rear extension) and phase 2 (inc. the extensions). This might not be so expensive to do and, as you rightly anticipated - may minimise future disruption / reduce costs. Check out our site (betterspace.co), we'll be more than happy to help you further! Good luck. Ed

• PRO
    Opun
    6 years ago

We agree with Betterspace. We do a lot of loft conversions and would also recommend that you draw up your plans incorporating both phases. That way the building work is all done with the loft in mind. When you are ready it just means finalising the initial plan.

However, we also agree with Aflux, the disruption is not going to be any less. what may be less is 1) cost , given that the space will have been 'prepped' for the future loft conversion. 2) time, it may also mean the loft conversion project progresses more quickly.

Hope this helps :)

Opun - your home improvement experts

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    6 years ago

Hi Jonas,

Have a look at our extensions offer

We manage it end-to-end, for extensions, we also do the interior design in-price so you will basically be free to observe how we turn it into a fabulous place.

Some of our finishes:

Glass fit out for a bar · More Info

Asian styled bathroom and Mirrors with edge lighting · More Info

German Schott Mirona Glass with semi transparent/reflective gradient prints · More Info

Bespoke backlit onyx lamps · More Info

Let me know if you are interested, as you are a Houzz member, you are eligible for a discount.

You can contact us at +44 20 3870 3574 if you are interested :))

• GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    6 years ago
    We completed a loft conversion and 2 storey rear extension last year. Originally we were going to do this in two phases due to budget. But soon realised it was best to be disrupted by builders once rather than twice. Just a few tips. My house is a typical 1920's semi, so the new staircase to the loft took up nearly all the box room. But we compensated for this by extending out by 4 m. All the bedroom ceilings needed to be lowered. Which was well worth doing to get a good ceiling height in the loft and get rid of all the artex bedroom ceilings. There are three RSJ's in the attic floor. As well as further ones on the ground floor. My rear foundations needed reinforcing too( they were in poor condition). We had a contingency budget of 10% but really needed 20%. We also moved into a rental house whilst the work was on. The time scale was six months but ended up being eight. We only got the keys back from the builders before Christmas. Still have to sort out the garden as we hadn't asked the builders to put in a patio to the rear of the house(due to lack of budget and foresight) . So now sit at my kitchen island looking out through my bi folds onto a muddy patchy lawn. To keep costs down all the walls and ceilings were tradesmen white. Carpet and vinyl for the floors. The bathrooms and kitchen were on sale as well as appliances. We also needed a new boiler as the old one couldn't handle the new radiators and extra bathroom ( a vented high pressure combi system was installed).
  • PRO
    Active Builders London ltd
    6 years ago

Hi

I think if you would like to reduce the disruption in the future you might want to consider doing the loft ready for 2nd fix and the complete it when you are ready. By choosing that you should also benefit financially.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.