akaster

60’s brick ranch needs some curb appeal

akaster
6 years ago

Hello.I am looking for some advice to add some curb appeal to a 60s ranch that we just purchased. The house sits in a pocket neighborhood that is full of beautiful 20’s built craftsman bungalows and tudors, I don’t know if it’s best to try and conform to that or if it’s ok to embrace the mcm look. It’s definitely the ugly duckling on the block.

I plan to remove overgrown landscaping. Looking for advice on style of garage door, trim color (soffit, gutters and fascia), roof color, and any other ideas to give the house some characater. Thanks ahead of time for all opinions.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

I wouldn't try to make your ranch home something that it is not.

But you will need to decide a budget, as there is a lot of opportunity, it just all cost $$$

• lbw123
    6 years ago

Hi, you have a great house to work with! I would splurge and get a killer new garage door, since that is predominately what you see as you drive up. I would also do something to break up the brick to the left of the front door - tall thin trees or a trellis with pretty vines, just something. Depending on your personal feeling towards the brick color, I would consider white washing or smear, since I am not a huge fan of the color - but that is totally personal. I would also add lanterns on either side of the picture window on the front and matching ones on either side of the garage. Or you could do a pergola over that front window or over the garage - not both because it would be too much. Look at fixer-upper photos - they do a lot of houses like this successfully and it is easy to get ideas from what they do. Have fun!

akaster thanked lbw123
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

Looks like a very pretty setting! I agree a different garage door would help and recommend one with windows across the top. Paint the gutters/downspouts to blend with the brick. Also agree landscaping will play a major role here.

akaster thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Clean up the driveway, get a beautiful modern garage door, plant a more minimalistic and/or modern garden to go with the minimalistic mcm look, and maybe even replace the front door with something that ties in well with your new garage door. MCM homes look nice with straight, clean lines in the landscaping to mimic the architecture of the home. This does look like such a cozy home! Here are a couple of nice mcm brick ranch homes for some inspiration:

akaster thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

I would use a large/dark garage door like: http://www.allstateloghomes.com/black-garage-doors/black-modern-garage-door-with-windows-homecm-in-black-garage-doors-houses-with-black-garage-doors-for-elegant-house-style/

Something with glass windows that breaks up the space as it is a large surface of the front of your home.

I love rugknots photo that has the rectangular metal divider. You could easily put something like that by the front door, since you can't really make the front door a focal point you could instead create seclusion with a divider that stands out.

I agree that charcoal trim work and windows will look much nicer on your brick home. I would leave the brick as is, once you paint/whitewash it is hard to go back.

akaster thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • jerseypeach15
    6 years ago

I would paint the brick. Not a fan of this color. Agree with everyone above about the landscaping. Good luck on your new home.

• akaster
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the great comments. I’ve been kicking around a lot of these ideas. As far as trim colors what are some opinions on light gray gutters/soffit/fascia (that matches mortar joints) with black windows (windows will be replaced anyways) and a black garage door similar to the one that Sativa McGee posted. I’m nervous about using black but when I see it in pics I do like it a lot.

Otherwise either a sage or lighter cream color taken from the bricks for all the trim instead of the light gray??

Thanks again for all the input!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Add some MCM elements after you rip out all the overgrowth check out some MCM landscaping. These are all examples of those.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

I like the current paint color on the fascia board. Paint the gutter that same color, it should not stand out. If they are vinyl replace with metal that can be painted.

Remove the screen door and paint the front door a nice accent color.

Paint garage door the color of the roof.

• PRO
    Hardie Boys, Inc.
    6 years ago

If you want to redo your landscaping, but still love the look of plants and foliage around your home, you should consider adding a supported pergola/trellis around your windows. hardieboysinc.com has many styles and sizes, all made from a low maintenance material called PVC. Check out these examples:

Pergola Only

Pergola and Trellis

• User
    6 years ago

Prune the shrubs, new garage door.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    A garage door with faux strap hinges and a row of windows across the top would be a polite nod to the craftsman houses in the neighbourhood.
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

some generic ideas (don't know your zone)

akaster thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Please don't try to MCM this sweet house.

Pergola over the garage is a great idea to add appropriate character.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.