jcorn1

Toto Drake or Carlyle II - the Map rating site, still need input

J Corn
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We've been trying to choose between the Toto Carlyle Ii and the Drake. We looked at the Map toilet testing site at http://www.map-testing.com and it appears that the Drake gets better performance ratngs than the Carlyle II.

As far as features go, we need a model which meets ADA standards for height. We don't need a washlet or other extras.. The Drake is far less expensive than the Carlyle II, at least in my area. I'd greatly appreciate input about whether it's worth the extra expense to get the Carlyle or even if it's better than a Drake.

The Drake is far less expensive than the Carlyle II, at least in my area. I'd greatly appreciate input about whether it's worth the extra expense to get the Carlyle or even if it's better than a Drake.

We're also wondering if a bright white Toto, , Colonial color, ) would be fine in our bathroom. ( see details below) If not, we'll have to special order the Cotton color..sight unseen, since no local companies carry that color!.

.The trim in our bathroom is Benjamin Moore Simply White . The walls are Sherwin-Williams Alabaster. I can't get a photo of the bathroom to load but it is basically neutrals in the beige and grey family but with vanity lights which have white shades and bulbs.

The Drake is far less expensive than the Carlyle II, at least in my area. I'd greatly appreciate input about whether it's worth the extra expense to get the Carlyle or even if it's better than a Drake.

Comments (13)

• J Corn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm providing links to the colors but in our bathroom, the paint colors look lighter than on my screen

So for what it's worth, Here is a link to the Sherwin Williams Alabaster: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/SW7008-alabaster#/7008/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

Heres the Simply White: https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/OC-117/simply-white?color=OC-117

• J Corn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for this info!

• Steve J
    6 years ago

Better performance and cheaper? Why are you even asking? Do you prefer the Carlyle for looks? IMHO, get the Drake, its highly regarded and recommended in here. I have 2 myself

• PRO
    Davidson Organizing, LLC
    6 years ago

Which Drake is everyone referring to? The standard Drake using 1.6 gallons that is #1 selling toilet on Amazon Toto CST744SL #01 or the Drake II which is rimless and has the double cyclone technology, making it a closer match to the Carlyle II which has the Tornado technology and is rimless (and skirted). There is also a Eco Drake that is similar to the standard Drake but uses 1.28 gallons.

We are considering the standard 1.6 gallon Drake for our secondary bathrooms because of its low price and yet excellent flushing. Saving water is not a priority for those bathrooms that don't get used a lot anyways. We are considering the Toto Ultramax II 1.28 - which is the same as the Carlyle II 1.28 but without the skirt. I like the idea of the skirt but it didn't appear that the Carlyle's skirt was as simple as needed to be easy to clean and thus not worth the extra $185.

Also, as far as Toto colors, the cotton white is the bright white and Colonial white is the antique white.

• disfromage
    6 years ago

Our Drakes were purchased 1995ish and I assume they were the standard model. I don't think the Drake II was available then? For what it's worth a plumbing fixture salesperson steered us away from buying 1.28 gal toilets in our current home. She said they don't work as well as the 1.6 gallon models. We followed her advice and our happy with our choices. As we were replacing 1970's toilets that used a small lake when they flushed we felt quite virtuous....

• JD
    6 years ago

Cotton white is the standard color and is not that bright of a white, IMHO.

• J Corn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We went with the Drake in Sedona Beige which isn't a darker beige and that's a relief. We wanted something light but more of a creamy light beige.

It's showing more white in my photos and that's inaccurate.

It's closer to the stock Toto photo ( last photo I'vd attached). Here it is in our bathroom, along with the standard online photo of the toilet . As you can see, the stock photo looks quite different than the toilet As it appears in my bathroom photo. I'm not sure why.

Our floor is actually new and clean and much lighter than pictured but it came out weird and splotchy in the photo.

It's frustrating but I can't get an accurate photo to represent the toilet as it appears in our bathroom. But for what it's worth, the Sedona is a better match with our wall and vanity top than a bright white toilet.

• TJW
    5 years ago

Very happy with our Carlyle II purchased a year ago.

• pattyl11
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In the Consumer Reports for single flush Toto toilets, they only rated the Drake. The scores range from 74 to 40 depending on the Drake model. The two best Drake models are the Drake CST744SL and the Drake II CST454CEFG both of which are comfort height. They both scored a 74. The Consumer Report ratings for all toilets started at 78 for single flush toilets and a 79 for the Toto Aquia wall hung model CT418FG#01.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

When I purchased a Toto Drake, I bought it from Home Depot online, with free delivery to my house. I cracked the tank during installation (it appeared to be a defect), and the local HD just ordered me a replacement tank, no questions asked. They did not carry the Drake in the store, but the replacement tank only took about 5 days to come in.

Bruce

• midcenturymodernlove
    5 years ago

I've had Drakes for over a decade, in multiple houses. They are great but I bought Toto Nexus for this next project, as they are shorter (from wall to front rim of bowl), which I needed. Also very cool. Most ToTo's are great. But I would stick with Drake if I had the room, as I know they perform well.

• J Corn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We‘ve been happy with our Drake but not the installer. The toilet overflowed onto our brand new bathroom within months of installation! .It wasn’t a toilet defect, as the repair guy was quick to reassure us. The toilet hadn’t been seated and affixed properly and there were other specifics I can’t recall. Pipe issues, I think.

Anyway, it’s fixed.,

Luckily, we‘d had our grout sealed but a small portion ,just in front of the toilet base, stained anyway ( my theory is that the sealers missed a spot) . It isn’t really visible, fades into shadow. The floor tiles and the vast majority of the grout remain unstained.

The repair guy also told us we could NEVER use a plunger with a Toto. We never have, He says it breaks the seal.

However, I found this thread and it specifically addresses Drake toilets. I’m also wondering about the safety of using a snake in the ( hopefully) rare event of a toilet clog: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/plunging-a-toto-drake.65713/

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.