yabba05

Bringing this into 2018?

K Cupps
6 years ago
I am looking for some thoughts on how to decorate this English buffet/bar that has been in my family for years. I do not want to add antique/period pieces, but update to 2018 through some well thought out items. I do not want it to be a full bar theme. It is in our walk our basement which also has a sectional, air hockey table, and toys with which the kids can’t yet part. Wouldn’t mind bringing in some color or metal/industrial, love eclectic but I am stumped! What do you think?

Comments (13)

• kootenaycapable
    6 years ago
    If you take the mirror off, it is a new piece of furniture, a desk.
  • arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Not really sure why it needs more. It is pretty spectacular as is. Why do you need clutter to show it off?

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think it looks nice as is but I do think you could add something if you wanted but not really sure what. I think adding anything industrial looking to try and update it is going to look strange though I think the term industrial can vary. It's a very nice piece. I'm having a hard time picturing a single lamp there too. Can you share other photos of the room? If you had a pool table, a long bowl with vintage balls might be neat. I like antique english lawn bowls/balls but they're not inexpensive.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I would store the mirror and use the buffet as a tv stand.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Clean out the cubby with the bottles, leaving that area empty. It does not need decoration at all because it is a fine piece on its own.

• della70
    6 years ago

A nice tray with your bar bottled on top in the tray would look appropriate. It's a beautiful piece!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

Don't take the mirror off, make it taller visually

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Pretty piece! I enjoyed searching for industrial-style accents, as I’ve never decorated with them myself. I like that idea, though, for this space (keeping it kind of fun and funky for a game/play room, with this grand and serious piece of furniture to play off of).

Just some ideas. I’d only do one or two things, otherwise it starts looking too theme-y.

Also love Sheeisback’s idea of vintage pool balls.

You might need some sort of table runner, etc, to protect the wood. I’d go with something very natural, especially with metal accessories. This is jute, but I’d want it lined underneath.

• mjconti
    6 years ago

A hurricane style or gas-light looking lamp. Or a couple decorative beer steins. It's very pretty as is! I'd say no to industrial. Why fight it? Enjoy it.

• billiesue14
    6 years ago
    I love ms_g's suggestions, especially the dice and pool ball candle holders. Also concur with getting rid of the stuff in the cubby at the bottom. Thank God no one is suggesting painting it!
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    6 years ago

Get it appraised first - to be sure it's not valuable - then paint it bright red to make it a showpiece (Since it's a family piece, ask any family members for advice first, if needed)!

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    6 years ago

Given that it's in a game room next to a chocolate sign, I'd offer perhaps making it a candy (and healthy snack) bar while you have kids at home. Just a neat line of jars along the shelf with some healthy and a few indulgent options.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.