suzannebatterton

Monster House Plan 11-182

battersa
6 years ago

Hello,

Has anyone built a house using this plan? I would love to see pictures of a completed house. Also, how do you find the original architect on a monster house plan?

https://www.monsterhouseplans.com/house-plans/country-style/2546-sq-ft-home-2-story-4-bedroom-3-bath-house-plans-plan11-182.html

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

There are two chances that an architect designed this house: 1) Slim, and; 2) None.

Good luck with your project.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Avoid buying plans online. You'll end up spending more money changing it to fit your needs than it would cost to get an architect to design you plans that fit what you need/want.

• User
    6 years ago

Train wreck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Get an actual architect every change to this will cost $$$ and you will end up spending more

• kalenangel
    6 years ago

Sometimes you can call the online company and ask for that information. I did that once; before I realized buying an online plan was more hassle than it was worth. However if you do go with this plan consider changing the hike from the laundry room to the master closet. Once you float furniture in the living room, it will be a PIA to get there.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I would get into the canned plans business but I encourage people to live their own dreams.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

These plans don't just appear out of thin air. With all the plans floating around, I do wonder how they are created in the first place. Most belong in the trash can, but somebody drew it up.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"...somebody drew it up..."

Yes, and that somebody should never be allowed near a pencil or CAD system again. Puleeze!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I actually think the name of the company would turn me off right away.

• User
    6 years ago

Somebody threw it up is more like it.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

battersa, what is it that you like about this plan? In what part of the country will you be building? How many people in your family?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

"These plans don't just appear out of thin air. With all the plans floating around, . . . "

There's a joke in there somewhere.

• battersa
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. We don't have any family members or friends that've built new so this is a totally foreign process. So like most people, we jumped on Google and started looking for plans. We have some land and we've identified a couple contractors who are willing to give us quotes upon blueprint/plan delivery. The land is 3 hrs away from where we currently live. How should we proceed with hiring an architect? Just go around our current city? Or meet architects in our destination city? Or find someone online? We've determined budget and the land is already accounted for, we're just not certain where to begin. Thanks in advance for any help!

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"...That way you can make the changes you want, and also, you won't end up with costly mistakes..."

Well...there's a gazillion threads on this forum bemoaning the mistakes designers and drafters make.

Most online plans are copyright, so taking them and modifying them without permission may have legal consequences.

I'm afraid the advice above isn't very good advice...

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

How exciting for you, battersa! I think you'll find this forum to be a wealth of information.Most here recommend an architect - a professional who will match your needs and wants to your property in a way that is pleasing and efficient.

Just be forewarned that some architects are not good at kitchen design, so when you get to that point, visit the kitchen forum here to get help.

Edited to give architects more credit for being able to design a wonderful kitchen.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

This architect is good at kitchen design.

One way to find an architect is to check out current or recently completed house projects near where you want to build and ask the owner and/or builder who the architect is and their experience with them.

• Love stone homes
    6 years ago

Hi battersa, like you we looked endlessly at online plans, none worked for our needs and lot. There are many ways to find an architect. You can follow Mark’s advice, look online or even contact some of the architects on this forum, some if who may do remote work.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I know you are, Mark! But I think we've all seen cases where the great minds on the kitchen forum have made improvements to the kitchen plans in custom architect-designed homes. I did not mean to imply that ALL architects stink at kitchen design. I will edit my post accordingly!

• User
    6 years ago

The home designer is WL Martin out of Jacksonville, FL.

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

Monster house?

And, in fairness to Mark, the KD I talked to regarding cabinetry had no adjustments to make to Mark's layout of my kitchen.

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

Battersa, when you look for a plan, try not to get a McMansion plan. The plan you are showing has a bunch of needless roof design and changes. This is a great article to read before you proceed....

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/149284377161/mansionvsmcmansion

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/149563260641/mcmansions-101-mansion-vs-mcmansion-part-2

The plan you have has a bunch of different juts in and out, like the nook and living room that cost a ridiculous amount of money to achieve and are a builders hell.

Mark gave you good advice about interviewing and seeing their work. You also need someone to site the house on the land.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

There are two chances that an architect designed this house: 1) Slim, and; 2) None.

This below proves the point. He is not an architect or even a designer.

Bill Martin, president of W.L. Martin Home Designs, has been designing homes since 1983. His wide variety of experience in the home building industry, from engineering and estimating to his work as a general contractor have strongly influenced his design style and principles.

• PRO
    Artistic Kitchen Designs
    6 years ago

Battersa, to answer your question where to start... I would interview a few architects that are local to the area your building in, or from the nearest metropolitan area. Get a feel for how they work, designs, and manage their clients (some are too busy to care about your changes or simply don't have the staff on hand to get through a project quickly). Someone what is knowledgeable in the local building codes and able to produce you the dream house you want.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Are you building a weekend/vacation home 3hrs away? Do you have any Amish village near there? Amish people build nice homes with much less $$. May be that’s another way to do it when you have a plan.

• battersa
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the continued replies. This will not be a vacation home, rather our permanent home on a few scenic acres. We'll do some searches on local architects to the area but it's not a big city, probably a 150,000 including surrounding towns. It's in the midwest, Southern Indiana to be exact.

Thanks for the links to the mcmansionhell website, my husband had been on there before. There is a lot of information on there but the guides to mcmansions was great!

If anyone else has suggestions, please let us know. Thanks!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Southern Indiana to be exact.

Southern Indiana is rife with Amish I believe so that's a good place to start.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

Amish architects?

• Kathi Steele
    6 years ago

I live in central Indiana and the Amish are ridiculously expensive. The build is good, but jeez.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Oh, they're expensive over there..... one of my neighbors hired them to raise the roof on their country house, they are moving to the countryside. I am in NY.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.