nanj

Exhaust fans for humidity control in shower

nanj
6 years ago

Can you recommend an exhaust fan that you are happy with its performance to remove humidity from the bathroom?

We are building in upstate SC where it is humid in the summer and want to put measures in place to minimize mildew in the shower. Our shower will be a curbless shower and will not have a door, with tiling to the ceiling. Not sure if the ceiling will be tiled - did not specify that detail so need to check with the builder.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Springtime Builders
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes! A bath fan thread. Most important is the ductwork. Insist on well-sealed, rigid metal pipe but a short flex takeoff from the fan can be good practice too. In cold climates, pitch the pipe to the exterior and use R3 to R8 insulation to prevent condensation drip. Use cape or butterfly dampers just inside the exterior wall for better blower door results.

Consider 6" pipe for difficult runs and better performance or a jumper duct that passively supplies make-up air from a neighboring room. I just did a jumper duct in my personal bath reno with the supply grill right behind the toilet. It performs really well for that and my tiny bath with notoriously long hot showers.

Panasonic whisper fans are among the most recommended and I think it's worth going out of your way for the best models. Integrated LED and 3-speed adjustment are particularly nice features. Broan has been stepping up better offerings too.

Be sure the fan is well sealed to the ceiling opening. This important detail is commonly missed as it falls through the trade cracks.

Timer delay wall controls seem best suited to effective bath ventilation.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

We installed an in-line fan in our bathroom, and love it. Lots of air flow, but because the fan itself is installed in the attic (not on the ceiling), one can barely hear it.

• nanj
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Great advice, Springtime! I will talk to our builder about these points. I've read good things about Panasonic, too, so will specify that is the brand we want.

AnnKH, thank you for replying. Is 'in-line' a brand or how it was installed?

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

Inline is the type - mine was from Fantech.

• providencesparrow
    6 years ago

AnnKH was there a price increase for installing the fan in-line?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I got a great one at Lower (has a light as well), but that was about 6--7 years ago - don't remember brand. I DO have a glass door, though. I think you are asking an awful lot of a fan and I think your bath towels are going to be damp. I'd think again about no door.

• AnnKH
    6 years ago

I installed it myself. In new construction, I can't imagine that the installation of an inline fan would be much more than a ceiling fan.

• User
    6 years ago

Don't forget the proper space at the bottom of the door(s). Gotta have ample air movement to move the moisture laden air out.

nanj thanked User
  • kootenaycapable
    6 years ago
    I have noticed that there are now humidity sensing bath fans. The ones that I have seen run around $200 Cdn, so significantly more expensive than regular bath fans.
Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.