holly_hasted

Problems refinishing wood floors: lighter edges & streaks

Holly
6 years ago

Hello! We've just had our pine floors sanded and refinished with Biofa Parquet Oil / waxed finish.

Unfortunately, the edges are lighter and there are some streaks (see pictures).

Our contractor says this is because the edge sander gives a different finish, and the lighter patches would go away with time. But how long? The lighter edges are extremely visible, especially near the door.

Is this normal? Surely, there must be ways avoid lighter patches and streaks? Our contractor says he would have to redo the entire floor, but it begs the question why it was not done with the same sander / or more carefully to begin with?

Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Did a professional floor refinisher do this? It doesn't look to be sanded properly. The edge sander marks need to be blended in with whatever they sanded the center with. The first picture shows what appears to be drum marks. Maybe this particular finish highlights the imperfections more than other finishes, but I suspect one could see the drum marks on any finish. They might be able to get away with hard plating the floor with sandpaper, then screening it, sanding the edges with an orbital sander and application of oil finish.

Holly thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • Holly
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it was a professional. Interesting to hear that the edger sander needs to be 'blended in' with the centre. I don't mind the drum marks SO much, it's the lighter edge by the door frame which really puts me off. Such an expensive project and disappointing result. Thanks for your input!

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    6 years ago

Pine's a little tricky since it can gum up finer papers but that's no excuse for this result. In the days before reasonably priced orbital sanders, finishers would hand scrape and sand the cross scratches from the edger where butt ends met a wall or door. I'm assuming your oil finish can be easily retouched. Have them sand a bad spot that's in an inconspicuous spot and reapply the oil.

Holly thanked Johnson Flooring Co Inc
  • PRO
    Wood + Water
    6 years ago
    the entire floor needs to be sanded at this point to gwt a consistent look. iy is difficult to feather it in. the reason is the sander used on thr outside took off the pinkish tone (what is in The middle). when you sand the entire floor use the same grite of sanding pad so it will take the satin clear coat.

i am a professional btw
    Holly thanked Wood + Water
  • purplekenji
    3 years ago

Hi, did you get a resolution on this as I have exactly the same problem and wondering what to do.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.