kelshorty

Splashback help

Kelly .
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, we recently renovated our kitchen and i am having so much trouble choosing a splashback. We left oven stack/ pantry as is. Need help choosing colour/style. We need to repaint the pantry door and shoppers entrance door because they look green. Was going to use same stone as bench but worried will look too white. (See what it looks like vertical in photo) there is also another tile in photo which i think looks too dark. Confused because splashback in 2 different place and worried it looks all over the place. Need to make decision quickly. Opinions appreciated! The floor is pinkish.

Comments (29)

• antarri
    6 years ago
    I really like the darker tile better I will look too white otherwise. Good luck
    Kelly . thanked antarri
  • Kelly .
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Even if i painted the walls a pale grey for example it would still look too white you think?

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    Definitely Not White and Grey looks too heavy- a lil lighter be ok or even tissue box looks great against benches so something like that
  • Kelly .
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tissue box? What do you mean?☺

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Kelly, you mentioned the splashback will be installed in two areas...besides behind the gas stovetop, where is other? And, will you tile from bottom of wall to under upper cabinets?

Is the large brown tile the only one you are now considering?

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Or is the tile grey? Sorry, I cannot tell for certain from photo.

Off topic, but had you considered painting the timber around the wall oven/s white to match the walls? I think it would blend in better.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Ideas:

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Few more:

• Kelly .
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thankyou. Yes i have thought about painting it white but just want to make sure first. The other part is to the right of the shoppers entrance where thermomix sitting. The tile i s a darkish grey but no have only had a chance to look at 2 tile shops. Would prefer a lighter colour . Similar to the colours you have attached.

• PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    6 years ago
    I think Dr Retro’s recommendation for porcelain timber look tiles is a great suggestion :)
  • Aaron
    6 years ago
    considered a glass splashback? we just put smokey mirror into our new white kitchen and love it
  • Sarah Beutel
    6 years ago
    Perhaps white with black grout?
  • me me
    6 years ago
    Kelly, the person who mentioned tissue box, was referring to the bold pattern on the tissue box on the bench in your photo. I agree that it would look good.
  • annb1997
    6 years ago
  • Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    Ideas
  • PRO
    Attic Building Design
    6 years ago

I think the tile ideas from Sarah Sarah are great or you can go with a white tile with a light grey grout to break it up, grey looks beautiful with pink as well.

• legendaryflame
    6 years ago
    I think a warm colour is needed. I agree white would be to much and that grey is much too dark and cold in my opinion. I like the encaustic tile annb first put up, Dr Retro's suggestion and Sarah's suggestions.
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Hi Kelly,
    I think everyone has given great advice, I just love these tiles and I think they could look beautiful in your kitchen, will pick up oven and fridge and look a real feature
  • Kelly .
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think i just want to do something pretty plain. Our floor is crazy and i liked a lot of the ideas, but they seemed to clash with floor. What do you think of the large concrete look tile? Is it too matt looking? The colour seems to go best with the bench, or that sort of shade. In the sunlight my benchtop looks quite yellow over there. Thoughts? Still too dark? Can i seal the tiles to make them not lookso matt. Thanks

• Sarah Sarah
    5 years ago
    If u like it then go for it!
  • girlguides
    5 years ago
    Oops just saw this thread again / meant I liked the Safeway? Tissue box pattern and brownish colour against cupboards and benches else the Grey tile in your first post picks up stainless steel Grey do should all tie in
  • archie04
    5 years ago
    What about a peachy tile colourway to go with floor? Some nice encaustics in that style. Different enough not to clash with white, fresh enough to keep the mood you're trying to create. Try jatana interiors for inspiration
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Kelly, is the grey tile you like available in gloss, do you know?

• annb1997
    5 years ago

From what I'm reading there seems to be some disagreement about sealing or applying polyurethane to ceramic or porcelain tiles. I think I would not bother, but instead find a gloss tile in the grey concrete look you want.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Grey concrete colour I mean.

• Kelly .
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone i found 2 tiles i dont mind. Tiles are cheap and i might not love it but wont hate it. Hopefully i will get my way and change the floor! Can change in a few years if needed. Would love a darker colour if splashback was a larger one and wrapped around the kitchen more. The final decision is between the middle tile or broken tile on right. Opinions between the 2?

• wuff
    5 years ago
    You need to love them, it is not a big area, stretch for something you love, good luck
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

Middle tile is a colour I particularly like.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.