buckleup2000

Is it even worth reupholstering old chairs!? So pricey!

Luke Buckle
6 years ago

I have a couple of old chairs that I picked up off the street. They have great curves midcentury timber arms and are a shape that you could read a book in for hours.

However, I have had the chairs priced for getting nw fabric and being resprung - and it is a lot more than buying a new chair (or 2) that will come with the latest foam and fabric and be well built etc.

Modern Fabric Wing Back Chair · More Info

(Photo just for illustration purposes)

So is it worth it? Have you done it and loved it or regretted it? Eager to hear your experiences...

Comments (31)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    6 years ago

Depends on the chair you're starting with and its new comparable.

A re-upholstered chair will probably be done to a higher standard than a mass produced new unless its super high end.

I have a Robin Day 4-4000 chair I'm getting done in a month or two.

Luke Buckle thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • sabina11
    6 years ago
    The advantage of reupholstering is you can choose fabrics that aren’t off the shelf and in the case of seating you can choose depth, firmness etc so totally custom to you.
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

I have had lounge suites reupholstered in the past and was very pleased with the results. There's something deeply satisfying about seeing fabric/s you have personally chosen transform a piece of loved and comfortable furniture. The last pieces were an old club lounge chair and an ottomon. After being reupholstered, the chair and ottomon 'made' the room.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Every time, they are usually better built by craftsmen and not cookie cuter production line repeats, something about having individually covered chairs knowing that you won't come across another like it.

• Kat
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have a sofa bed, it is very heavy with a full metal mechanism. We have owned it since 1993, it originally was covered in black vinyl, with puffy arms as was the style in those days. We purchased it in vinyl so it would be servicable for our rumpus room and our then teenage son. We are about to cover it for the 3rd time. On covering it the first time, we removed the puffy arms which were simply velcroed on, so that the sofa now has a unique shape with slopping arms, we placed it in our main living room were it has remained ever since. By recovering it allows us to have a completely individual look each time. The last time we used expensive Warwick "Olive" fabric, which is a really out there fabric, over the years visiting guests have commented on how great it has looked and how comfortable it is. It also allows for an eclectic look which we mix up with single chairs. With a new build, it is due and time for a new look and freshen up once again. It is not a "cheap" thing to do, but it is worth it when you end up with a sturdy, individual piece, it actually works out a lot cheaper than many sofas on the market, which can be many thousand's of dollars.

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 years ago

It depends on the chair and the quality of the construction that is underneath. If it has a sentimental connection to your past it may be worth spending the money on reupholstering. But sometimes once the old upholstery has been taken off then other issues present themselves, such as requiring new foam, new webbing, and getting loose joints repaired. Its a bit like renovating an old house - you never really know what issues there are has until you start to remove some layers.

I would be very careful on spending big money on a roadside find, unless it was comfortable and a known and well respected brand. Some brands such as Moran are built to last a lifetime and are worthwhile the investment. For roadside finds you should budget to replace the upholstery as you don't really know how many kids have vomitted, dogs have urinated and people have died on the chair before you "saved" it.

Don't bother re-upholstering some of the more disposable types of furniture, such as Ikea and the reproduction stuff as they are so cheap new, and the craftsmanship needed for a good upholstery job is quite expensive.

Like an old house, good foundations are a good starting point, but don't waste your money trying to fix up something that is well past its use-by date.

Dr Retro

• lfhorn
    6 years ago
    I got a couple of chairs done and told the reupholster that i loved how you sunk into the chair and would it be the same after reupholstering. ‘Yes’ he said. Well $1600 later for the two chairs and they are as uncomfortable as hell. So disappointed, he used rock hard foam, wish I had bought something new.
  • Jenni Jones
    6 years ago
    I just had my husbands grandfathers chairs reupholstered- so for sentimental reasons. It cost $1000 for two. Resprung, new foam and we chose the fabric. I went direct to a factory in a local industrial area. Very happy with the outcome!
  • Maureen Hoy
    6 years ago
    I had a beautifully built comfortable Moran Sofa recovered by a well known and recommended upholsterer and was extremely disappointed with the way it was done and quality of workmanship.
    Recently had some cushions made and a day bed mattress covered with a fabric I particularly wanted with disastrous results.
    The daybed mattress was supposed to be suitable for outside but wasn’t. The cushions were all hard foam whereas we had agreed on plump soft cushions. Price was ridiculous for such inferior work.
    Never again!!!!
    Luke Buckle thanked Maureen Hoy
  • camellia1
    6 years ago
    HI, I bought 2 Tessa cream leather chairs for 300 dollars and had them upholstered in black leather. Very happy with them but they were solid to start with. Also re upholstered a couple of wing chairs that also look great. I agree that you can end up with a unique look as opposed to mass produced.
    However, you need to find a good upholsterer who knows their stuff.
  • Bernadette Staal
    6 years ago

if you have a quality chair with good bones and it is comfortable, why would you consider dumping it and getting a cheaper run of the mill (thousands of homes have the same) chair that may not last the distance. When you spend the money on upgrading you get to select the fabric and you show the piece of furniture the respect it deserves.

• carolohara
    6 years ago

If the chair is very comfortable, I would have it recovered> I am having the same dilemma couldnt believe how expensive to have my chair recovered, but if you find fabric you like, go for it, but make sure it is super comfortable before you go to the expense.

Luke Buckle thanked carolohara
  • dixie70
    6 years ago
    Depends how much you love the chairs. For sentimental reasons yes worth the cost.
    Could you just live with them the way they are for a while? Throw some cushions or a cozy throw on them, live with them for 4-6 weeks in your home and living space and see how they suit and if you find you love them and want them to be with you for a while then get them reupholstered to feel more you.
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Lovely job, pamackenziequilts! Your story reminded me of when my mother helped a neighbour reupholster some pieces of furniture to sell. They taught themselves how to go about it by reading books on the subject. I do remember my mom saying how much fun she had.

• PRO
    Deirdre Avenell
    6 years ago

Good point pamackenziequilts. Have you considered reupholstering the chairs yourself? If you learn how to do it properly, either by doing a course or finding a really good YouTube tutorial that will guide you through, you could end up with some beautifully unique pieces that you can look at and think, 'I did that myself'. Very satisfying.

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Usually only worth it if they are heirlooms or have some degree of design or functional value with great lines/super comfortable etc...for example we had a couple of quality danish pieces redone that really gave them a new lease of life....similarly I've also seen people drop a reasonable amount on something when it's questionable whether they should've have just bitten the bullet on an alternative - but ultimately like a lot all this stuff, it's comes down to personal opinion

• montysmum
    6 years ago

I totally agree with pamackenziequilts ! I myself have 2 Louis IV reproduction chairs I have picked up off the roadside. They aren't in good shape, in that the joints are coming unglued and the wooden components need attention as well as being reupholstered. However, I have been studying Youtube and have spoken to an experienced upholsterer, who has given me detailed advice. I bought the equipment I need, and have practiced on some little informal cane chairs I have. They turned out brilliantly. I am now in the process of tackling my project, which I can work on during the long winter evenings.

• Ann M
    6 years ago
    I’ve had the same problem. Unless you absolutely can’t live without the chair go and buy new ones. That’s what I did and I love them. Comfortable, beautiful fabric and they go with my decor. Good luck.
  • Cathy - emareved
    6 years ago

I have had a chair in my garage waiting to be reupholstered for years, it has some sentimental meaning but basically it is a lovely solid chair with character. I have reupholstered our dining room chairs a few times which is ridiculously easy and can totally transform a dining room so I plan to eventually reupholster the chair. If you did consider giving it a go maybe you could start with an old ottoman as practice and see if you think you would be capable of the job. Then using matching fabric try the chair. It's so satisfying to stand back and look at the completed job.

Local evening colleges run some good upholstery classes to give you a starting point.

Now I am inspired to go dig out that chair. Thanks for raising the question.

• mummat
    6 years ago

I have a sofa bed that I am going to have reupholstered in the next couple of months. For me it is a matter of the difficulty in finding lounge chair(s) where my feet touch the ground (and I am comfortable) when I sit on them!!! These days lounge chairs are not made for the shorties like me. LOL

• Kerrie Johnson
    6 years ago

I found a beautiful little chair and spent good $$$ a a gorgeous fabric, I paid an upholsterer $$$ to do the job and it turned out really well. The chair broke and I spent more $$ getting it fixed professionally. After 6 months the chair broke again and the green colour in the fabric faded so badly it ended up a pooy mustard. I refused to get it fixed or redone and ended up paying a huge amount for a chair I tossed. I'm looked to get another but will buy new, expensive lesson.

• geeannie1
    6 years ago

I second the suggestion to do an upholstery course. It's fun, and then you can do it exactly how you want it. Much cheaper plus you come out with a skill.

• harryinahurry
    6 years ago

I have some 60s TV chairs that recline, I love them because they are a bit retro and suit my dodgy back. I had them reupholstered at the very exorbitant cost of $500 each! They are now a fabric I love but, as someone else pointed out, went from squashy and comfortable to hard foam. I'm spending a lot of time sitting in them to soften them up ;)

Also one of them had a higher back, which fitted my 6ft partner, but when they came back they were all the same height. My fault as I should have talked it through with the upholsterer.

I would do it again but only for furniture I really love, and I'd be very clear about what I wanted.

On another note, we had 2 club chairs made for us more than 20 years ago - we love love them and they will be good as new for a long time. It was way better than reupholstering 2 old club chairs.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Love the chair & ottomon! Very Mad Men!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Don Draper style.

• PRO
    Piega Window Furnishings
    6 years ago

Depends on the style and quality. If they are good quality chairs with great bones they are worth repairing and still a little cheaper than a new chair of comparable quality. Check these out I did a couple of years ago.

Manly · More Info

Manly · More Info

• bob marley
    6 years ago

op shops and garage sales always have what you need cheaply, why buy shopnew ?

most of the time stuff in op shops and yard sales is new anyhow , someone else has paid full price and never used it.

Luke Buckle thanked bob marley
  • juliamac19
    6 years ago

I've had 2 Moran rolled arm sofas since the early 80s. I'd planned to have them reupholstered when we moved house - the blue pink and green plaid fabric was very dated! The price was horrific - I think they needed something crazy like 35 metrres of material each. They were in just as good nick as the day I bought them, so beautifully made and comfy. Anyway I couldn't afford it & they are now in storage - I'll get zilch for them if I sell. The upholsterer said they are great quality and no comparison to the new stuff you can get now. They'd go on for another 30 years! I'd have a go at doing your chairs - why not have a project to absorb you

Luke Buckle thanked juliamac19
  • PRO
    Bober Furniture, Joinery & Interiors
    6 years ago

Yes buying a new chair will have the latest fabric and foam, but you dont know where its been manufactured, chances are if you're buying off a showroom floor and the price is alot cheaper then having something re-upholstered, they are made in China or somewhere similar, therefore the latest fabric and foam will only last a couple of years, where as, having them re-upholstered locally and spending the extra money, will give you good quality foam, springs and fabric which will last a lifetime

Luke Buckle thanked Bober Furniture, Joinery & Interiors
  • lynnrobe
    6 years ago
    I did a DIY on mine. Carefully remove the covers and use as a template for cutting out your fabric pieces. Take careful note of how the pieces overlap, fold etc. You will need an electric staple gun to put it back together but it is not difficult.
    Luke Buckle thanked lynnrobe
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.