dlmakepeace

Composite front door v wood, advice appreciated.

JesmondDene
6 years ago

Advised to buy a composite door and side panels. Please can you tell me the advantages over a wooden exterior door?

Comments (9)

• Sonia
    6 years ago

This really is a personal choice. I have wood which I love but it does need regular maintenance with repainting and adjusting when it expands and retracts. Mine’s in a porch so a little bit protected. My sister has a composite door in black and it looks fabulous with chrome furniture. Apart from a wipe down, there is little maintenance. It looks like wood. Her composite door was a lot more expensive than mine, but of course if you choose oak or other hardwood it is much the same. You will also have a lot more choice of styles in wood than composite. I would interested to read other comments!

JesmondDene thanked Sonia
  • Angie
    6 years ago
    I'm interested in what others have to say on this. Our Edwardian house has a upvc front door which we plan to change, either to wood or composite. Have heard stories of composite being affected by direct sunlight, especially dark colours. Don't know whether these are accurate?
    Angie
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

In addition to forzaitalia's comments re maintenance and warping I think composite doors also include a layer of insulation and they're meant to be the best door from a security perspective due to the way it's made. Aesthetically I personally prefer wood and maybe I was unlucky but we had a composite door fitted in our old house which was a new build and the paint chipped...

JesmondDene thanked minnie101
  • Jill Taylor
    6 years ago
    Hi. We've just gone for composite wood effect doors to our Edwardian house. I would have preferred wood but my husband wanted a more secure door. Im impressed with how solid the door is and how safe the locking mechanism makes it. I think it will, over time, weather and look a little more in keeping (it looks far too new at the moment!)
    JesmondDene thanked Jill Taylor
  • PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    6 years ago

A well maintained Hardwood door will have a far greater life-cycle than any composite door. As far as looks go a Hardwood door wins hands down everytime. Composite doors IMO look cheap & nasty. Especially when used in period properties.

JesmondDene thanked Traditional Sash Windows
  • Angie
    6 years ago
    Some really useful info here, thanks all. Looks vs security maybe what it comes down to?
  • JesmondDene
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For me it would be looks, insulation and being able to repaint in the future....so more questions if anyone is patient enough with me!

1. Can a composite door be repainted in the future?

2. Is there a benefit in keeping the house warm? I am wondering if the actual body of the door is an insulator, so is a composite door filled with something to insulate against the the cold or is a wooden door as 'warm'. Or is the insulating factor dependent on the quality of either door; good composite, good wood is better than cheaper versions of both?

3. Again about insulation, is the 'warm' factor not linked to the body of the door at all but to the fit in the frame?

The wooden door we will be replacing, due to the build, will open straight into the kitchen.

Hadnt expected this to be quite as confusing. Thanks to those for advising.

• Daisy England
    6 years ago

You can't beat a wooden door. Obviously being in the trade all our windows and doors are timber. We apply a treatment to them all every other year to keep them looking good.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.