jbuhler

Great neighborhood, ill proportioned house.

jbuhler
6 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas to save this house from its awkward exterior? First home, great interior but needs some exterior help! Thanks

Comments (28)

• Kat M
    6 years ago
    I think you could love it with a different trim color to join your brick and roof.
    jbuhler thanked Kat M
  • girl_wonder
    6 years ago

I'm assuming you already looked around your new neighborhood to see if you could steal anyone else's ideas. ;)

Are you thinking of hiring an architect? That could be $$$. My first thought was to increase the size of the dormers. I did a quick google search on "steeply pitched roof" (and then again with the word "dormer") and got some ideas. Seems like a lot of these try to balance the steeply pitched roof with another design element.

jbuhler thanked girl_wonder
  • Bev
    6 years ago

New landscapiing will help! I noticed the flower bed, right of the door, looks very plain and empty. Nothing brightens a home exterior like beautiful flowers and landscaping. This will be a lot cheaper than trying to change the exterior of the home.

jbuhler thanked Bev
  • laurahahe
    6 years ago

I agree with girl wonder. The big challenge with this house is that the dormers are too small. They look to me like a person squinting their eyes. If it's in the budget to make them larger go for that

jbuhler thanked laurahahe
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The dormers are too "short", increasing the height by 50% would make all the difference (the current width and placement is fine). This won't be cheap and you will need to match the current glass pane configuration (which is the best part of the overall "look") in the new windows. Short of that, landscaping will help immensely.

jbuhler thanked chiflipper
  • User
    6 years ago

I think adding a small porch with its own pitch roof would look more friendly something a little like this

also an update to the dark privacy fence would be nice, with a gate near the garage door for backyard access

jbuhler thanked User
  • reitz02
    6 years ago

I think I would learn to accept the house being a bit quirky. Put some $ into landscaping and eventually move up to a larger home. You never know when a job change could move you to another city or state.

jbuhler thanked reitz02
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Th.e bashful dormers are pretending they’re not there: they need to be enlarged.
    jbuhler thanked jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 years ago

Yes, the dormers should be a lot bigger. It would give the home more character. Windows need to be updated as well! Definitely update the landscaping and it would give your yard a fresh look!

jbuhler thanked Stecki Construction
  • jbuhler
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have a rough idea what enlarging dormers may cost?

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

No one here can give you an estimate. Your location and the structure of the roof will determine cost.

jbuhler thanked chiflipper
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

generally we see photos of 'a garage with a house attached', this is 'a roof with a house trying to grow underneath it'.

it looks odd, not having any gables facing the front. as a result, there is not house color showing, just a big grey roof. do you already own it?

jbuhler thanked Judy Mishkin
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I find the multi-paned Windows to be unattractive. Could each large window be replaced with three double hungs?

jbuhler thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • SarahC24 C
    6 years ago
    I would say maybe think about adding a porch like the one in this picture and have the porch roof start right under where the bottom of the dormers are. It may not work but I think the problem with this exterior in my opinion is that for one there is sooo much roof and not much brick exterior. I think a porch the length of the house will help break the roof up and make it not look like it's so overwhelming and awkward. I hope this idea makes sense!
    jbuhler thanked SarahC24 C
  • Zachary Salman
    6 years ago

I agree that the roof is too overpowering, and the dormers are ill-proportioned. I recommend redoing the dormers taller and narrower (narrower because dormer windows, with some exceptions, should always be smaller than the windows below, or they will look too monstrous and overpowering). Four dormers would be nice.

jbuhler thanked Zachary Salman
  • silviakunst
    6 years ago
    I think all you need is landscaping ...large trees on every corner and framing the house ...entrance etc.
    even though the Windows above are slits instead of A shaped which would probably look better suited for you style roof ..I would camouflage the front with beautiful trees and leave it alone . Your roof looks new , why mess with a roof that is working well ! One day when you need a new roof you can address that if you still feel it needs it . I think landscaping could be your ticket to make it all look wonderful ! It's a nice house , enjoy it !
    jbuhler thanked silviakunst
  • charaj00
    6 years ago
    Without knowing how long you plan to stay in this house and how much is in your budget, this forum will give you ideas that may not be practical. Esthetically, larger dormers and a complimentary color (something near olive or sage green) with new landscaping will go a long way. Start with window installers for $$$$ estimates. Personally, I would paint and landscape and then sit back and enjoy the nice interior.
    jbuhler thanked charaj00
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    Oh yes, Kat M....the gray trim is exactly what will make that house gorgeous.
    jbuhler thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

can say I kind of like the house it has a certain look that is not the usual cookie cutter house in the burbs. Before doing anything get an architect to look and see what they can come up with . I would do the landscaping for sure and then see how you feel.

jbuhler thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

I would simply change out the front door to all glass with divided lights, put in a curved slate walk and improve the landscaping. Perhaps change the trim color so the garage is less prominent.

jbuhler thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • charaj00
    6 years ago
    Rather than disturbing/ enlarging the existing 2nd floor dormer windows, think about adding an identical faux 3rd floor dormer. Your builder might be able to give you advice and an estimate.
    jbuhler thanked charaj00
  • charaj00
    6 years ago
    And, a dormer over the garage.
    jbuhler thanked charaj00
  • Kat M
    6 years ago
    What area are you in? This massive roof with small, low dormers is seen quit a bit in the alps in Europe.
    jbuhler thanked Kat M
  • Kat M
    6 years ago
    Embrace it's style. If you don't like the mullions and you don't want to replace windows, then paint them a trim color (gray, sage green, etc.) and they will not be so noticeable. Then live with it awhile and evaluate again.
    jbuhler thanked Kat M
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    6 years ago

You need an architect. I think changing the dormers would help immensely, but it is not a DIY project. You need to spend the $$$ on professional help on this because, in this case, it will be money well, well, well spent.

jbuhler thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Storybook is my *favourite* architectural style. If I had the $$$$$ to do this one up like she deserves I would be all.over.it. If I didn't I would walk away because it would make me physically sad to see her everyday, not living up to her potential.

Lake Front Storybook Cottage · More Info

Elements Storybook Style Projects · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

I'm going to guess that you are not as emotionally impacted by this house though (or maybe any house lol).

And if you see these photos and think "OMG these are hideous what in the world is lindsey on about?" then maybe this isn't the right house for you. Because this is what she wants to be :-D

jbuhler thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • jbuhler
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks, I appreciate the photos!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.