kathy_alpert

Red oak family room remodel

Kathy
6 years ago

Our family room had red oak parquet floors, wall panels and wall unit. It was so dated. We had a huge dilemma whether to stain or paint the wood panelling on the walls. Staining the walls and wall unit would have been a lengthy and expensive project and at the end of the day would not have given us the modern look we were looking for.

We decided to paint the walls in a neutral taupe/grey, changed the flooring to high end laminate and we redid the entire wall unit inserting a 72" electric fireplace in the middle with a tv on top.

Comments (25)

• Kathy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My last addition to this room are some window coverings. The large sliding door on the left opens to our deck. We never use that door but use the one in the kitchen. Should I get some soft see through drapes or just a few panels on each side of the windows for a complete effect. The panels would just be for decoration, and not opened up since the view is too nice.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

Looks awesome !

Kathy thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Well done!

Kathy thanked Mega Builders
  • Bev
    6 years ago

Very well done!

Kathy thanked Bev
  • Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Excellent job
    Kathy thanked Irene Morresey
  • Kathy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Any ideas for the window coverings?

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    TV is much too high (think SEATED eye level). The space feels very commercial.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    The coffee table is too distant from seating for easy use. Remove it to open up traffic route and use end tables/chests instead. Add lamps to create comfortable, flattering light.
  • PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    6 years ago

Nice job!

Kathy thanked M&R Custom Millwork Inc
  • PRO
    Sky Whitman Fine Art
    6 years ago

wonderful job!

• Annie K
    6 years ago
    what does "very commercial" mean? great job by the way!!
  • Annie K
    6 years ago
    for the window coverings, have you thought about some sheer panels,, perhaps in a linen to add some softness to the room.
  • schnable1
    6 years ago
    window coverings- how does light from uncovered windows affect TV picture?
  • Kathy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The light from the windows does not affect the TV at all. We are on the ravine and the view is very beautiful and private. In the summer you can see my two hanging flower baskets, a trellis completely covered with morning glory and the outdoor table with umbrella. That is why we thought to just leave it open. Would sheer panels obstruct this view?

• User
    6 years ago

I love your style!!

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    No window coverings needed! Enjoy the new beautiful room and your view!
  • jck910
    6 years ago

Wow does this room go with the rest of the home? So not my taste, get the feeling something is missing but can't put my finger on what

• PRO
    European Granite & Marble
    6 years ago

Tastefully finished. Love the family room.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    6 years ago

Wonderful update! Nice color scheme!

• pamelamacleod
    6 years ago
    Nice job it looks lovely. Always preface with “I am not a designer” but I think side panels on your patio windows would look nice if the background n the fabric was white with some kind of modern pattern, and use the colour in the pattern as a guide for some nice cushions and accessories. For example if the pattern was in yellow for instance then you could put yellow cushions on the sofas and I think it would give a bit of life to the room, kind of a little punch?

Good luck you have done a very good job of your room.
  • JustDoIt
    5 years ago

Wow does this room go with the rest of the home? So not my taste, get the feeling something is missing but can't put my finger on what

Totally unnecessary.

Good job OP.

• PRO
    KT tile
    5 years ago

Looks very good.

• PRO
    Rustic Elements Furniture
    5 years ago

Great work! Greys are very popular.

• Rachel G
    5 years ago

That looks so much better!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.