carla3127

What would you do?

Nad T
10 years ago
I find this room dark....?Too much brown..What would you do to brighten things up?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Artworks by Marcine, LLC
    10 years ago
    I agree with KMC. Those items make the room look heavy and congested.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    HI -- I think almost all the furniture are the culprits. Looks like everything in the room is the same dark brown / black .The TV has to be black so that has to stay , but if you want to lighten the room , you have to think about some new furniture . I think the sofa could stay but maybe get some new chairs in a lighter fabric . Maybe you could paint some of the furniture like the table and chairs .Maybe start with a new rug in a lighter color scheme , then go from there to get the color for some new chairs etc. I really don't care for the blocky coffee table that you have set out in no mans land . It should be about 18 inches from the sofa. Rather see a lighter bigger coffee table like something that is metal and glass .Maybe get some lighter brighter lamps and floor lamps . Some white or light semi -sheer drapes . You could paint a nice fresh lighter color on the walls depending on what you get for an area carpet . Look on Houzz and find some rooms with a lighter look that you would like and follow that as a guide .
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really appreciate your comments! Would love suggestions for a replacement coffee and side table or lamps! Bear in mind we have 2 boys that are rough on the furniture!
  • pitbulls
    10 years ago
    I was thinking a more colorful carpet and pull some colors from it for pillows.I would also change out the coffee table for a glass one.
  • Debra Metz
    10 years ago
    How old are your boys? Depending on their ages I would think twice before using a glass coffee table..
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Changing the rug would make a huge difference. I'd like to see you add tuquoise and white, and some orange. So look at the rug below which would bring the turquoise and white into the room. Then, paint the TV wall white with a 3' stripe of turquoise running across it at window height. Add turquoise, white and orange pillows to the sofa and you'd have a totally different look.

For a change in coffee table which seems badly needed, I'd choose a different shape and texture and the round wicker table below offers those qualities plus doing double duty as an ottoman. Add a tray if you want it to hold drinks.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    CMI- Colonial Mills, Stripe It TR49, Turquoise, 5'x8' · More Info

Orange Outdoor Pillow with Coral Flange · More Info

Mongolian Lamb Pillow · More Info

Lanai Woven Round Coffee Table Ottoman · More Info
  • Nad T
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Boys are 2 and 4
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    My own boys are 1 and 4, and so I say from experience in that area to focus on accessories
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Oops, one-handed typing!!

I was meaning to say let some accessorizing brighten up the space for now. No need to replace furniture just to have a baby bang toys on it and the big boy turn it into his at-home jungle gym!

I would start with some lighter pillows. Replace all the dark ones with cream tones from the rug and take it from there. Sometimes small changes can give us what we need in the short term.

Then, when you're ready, you can start looking at simplifying the entertainment center, rug, etc.

If your boys are anything like mins, you'll have a potty training surprise on your new rug the day you get it!
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    add up light crown molding
    Rough Hollow Parade Home · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Another quick fix would be to lighten up the frames on the photos and mirror. Try painting them a cream color as well.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- because you have young boys , a good coffee table would be a distressed wood top with a wood or wrought iron base or an ottoman topped table with legs to keep a lighter look . Some of them have storage for fast tidy ups. Size about 30 or 36 inch square or even 40 or 48 inch size . Tape out the sizes on the floor to see which will work for you.
  • chayasufrin
    10 years ago
    Maybe paint the wall behind the tv a brighter color? Definitely adding brighter pillows and accents will help. Perhaps try a metal bowl of fruit on the table. Sheer colored drapes. Chang e the rug. Perhaps a couple accessories on the coffe table that aren't easily breakable.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.