vkavaras

Rug in foyer -make a statement?!

Valerie K
5 years ago
Hello!
Attached are a few images of my foyer. I have a few black and gray/taupe photos, a pretty glass chandelier, a cow head skull, a rustic wood & black metal candle sconce, tree branches in a glass vase and sort of a woodsy yet pretty overall decor. Currently, I have plain black shaggy rug at the front door and am so bored with it :(
Because everything is so neutral I am hoping to replace the rug with a new one that offers some interest. I like the chevron pattern, and natural jute rugs but am just stuck on what to put in that space.
Perhaps a pop of color? A different pattern?
Help!

Comments (27)

• della70
    5 years ago

You are right about a color and I'd bring in one that is used in other rooms of your home in a patterned rug. Go with a rug that reflects the style of the other rooms in your home, be that traditional or transitional or modern. Great start!

• User
    5 years ago

Yup, color and pattern. Doesn’t have to be crazy color, with everything being tone on tone you could do something beautiful. Bigger than existing one.

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! Any specific suggestions? I’m open to you all sending me sample images of rugs that might work...
  • dyliane
    5 years ago

you need the bigger one that can fits in the space, a small rug will never be an statement

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Aside from the rug, I'd consider adding some color into the wall décor. You'd then choose a rug based upon a color in the wall décor.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    5 years ago

Color would be really nice to see here. Do you have some color in other rooms you could bring in here?

Entry · More Info

Entry · More Info

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have a pretty neutral color tone throughout my whole house- whites, taupes, black, mix of Woods, greenery from faux plants & silver metals/galvanized frames ...so I’m not sure a true pop of color is what I’m looking for. I was thinking maybe more of a pattern. BUT I’m open to a color...just not sure which color to go with..especially because i don’t have much of any other thru the house. Any suggestions?
    Again a visual/image would help!!
    Thanks
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

Any color would need to be subtle. Maybe a subtle yellow or blue.

Black and taupe rug.

Wayfair - Jaipur Living Bloom

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Something like this? Not much color, but at least there is a pattern :)
    Any other ideas?
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Your entry rug should be wider than the door and almost fill that space just inside the door. If there is color in the art hanging in the entry or hall, you could look for a rug which includes one or two of those colors in a geometric or trellis pattern. You might consider adding a matching hall runner to continue the pattern.
  • Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hmmmm ok so as far as size, I thought I had to fit the rug as close to the door base as possible.
    There would be maybe a 1.5-2” space of wood floor showing between the base of the door and the rug if I get a bigger rug than 3’ wide or it won’t fit inbetween the trim. (Does that make sense?)
    I do think a bigger rug would be great, I just don’t want it to look like it doesn’t “fit”
  • Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Or would a circular rug work in this space?
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

From what I see, a rectangular rug is best. Round rugs are usually centered in the entryway.

• Sharon
    5 years ago

You could have a doormat and also put a runner in the hall.

• PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    5 years ago

We make a lot of square 3 x 3 , 4 x 4 rugs that might fit better in your foyer.

• niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Love the rug that shirlpp sent . I notice your chandelier is formal transitional , so I think you can’t go wrong with a Persian . The one below comes in several sizes , including square shapes. It would bring in contrast w. your dark floor , some pattern while still being neutral and a bit of a more formal feel for the foyer entrance .
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Here’s something more contemporary with a bold pattern statement , yet a touch of soft green , which reads almost like a neutral .
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Ooops - forgot to attach the photo w. my previous post -
  • Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What do your bunk of this? Size is 39x55”
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    I think you should consider painting your front door. If you are happy with your neutral scheme, then I would suggest black- still a neutral, but adds some needed drama. I would then suggest a rug that adds both pattern and colour to your space. As another reviewer pointed out, I think a Persian style rug would work particularly well with your light fixture. Or maybe a Kilim? If you are still thinking chevron, I like the first one....
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Photos got mixed up, oops! Meant I prefer this chevron rug...
  • niccidhg
    5 years ago
    Valerie, that looks like a nice rug. How much is this door used for everyday in and out ? If this isn’t the door you use all the time, I think it would look better to have a little larger rug and to place it more in the middle of the space instead of right up against the door. That way it will be more decorative instead of utilitarian looking.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Use round round rug by door and matching rug in rectangular shape for bottom of stairs. Keep the rug neutrals. Grays and beiges. Use art if you want pops of color.
  • Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks a ton for all the feedback but gosh am I getting confused! I’m heading so many different opinions.
    I actually like the rug I just placed there— it has a pattern and offers some interest. It jives with the traditional chandelier, but the colors are still pretty neutral. It’s larger than the one I had and fits pretty much between the space where the door is.

Do you all think it at least looks decent? Bette than the plain black one I had there previously?
  • dyliane
    5 years ago

too small

• Valerie K
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can anyone send me an image of perhaps a foyer with a similar set up and a rug that you think fits...? I’m very visual and need to sort of see it.
    I thought maybe round would work there, but then I was given feedback that won’t work. Then someone else said it would. I do not want 2 rugs in the space. I want to keep it simple.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.