laura_grosmaire

Identical larger rug vs. current rug and furniture

Laura Grosmaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We love our newly redone den (painted/new shades/hardwood floors/rug), it was very dark and dreary previously. I am totally smitten by the rug we found (CL). It has a tiny (quarter size) orange stain on one border, but the rug is so colorful and the stain is by the sofa, it is virtually invisible.

The rug is 5.6 X 8.8.

One of the issues with the room is the large expanse of exposed wood (entering the room). I have yet to find a runner I like, and currently have a 2 x 3 natural fiber type piece to cover the gap. It's OK, but still leaves you with a large step. I just recently found this exact rug (and it appears to be in better shape=no stains) in an 8 X 10 size. If I place the center of the rug in the same place (which I "think" would be best for visual impact), the rug would reach on the left right up to the TV stand, and on the right to about one foot under the sofa.

The rug would then extend closer to the room entry by about 16 inches and mitigate some of the awkward spacing relative to runner.

I know there are some "visual rules" for rugs and furniture and visual effect. My husband thinks it would look better the way it is. I get it to some degree, I do like the entirety of the smaller rug being visible for visuals, but do wonder how it might be otherwise.

And of course the other trade off is buying another rug (more kaching! although I'm prepared to not be practical!) and also getting rid of this one. What say you??

Comments (16)

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Yep, you need a bigger rug for that room. Go for it!
  • PRO
    Grand Finale Design
    5 years ago

Buy the larger rug! The 8 x 10 should fit nicely under the front legs of the furnishings in the room, according to the rule of thumb for rug placement. I would keep the smaller rug too and use it maybe in adjoining room! Choose a color or two from the rug as accent colors for accessories (art and pillows). Beautiful room by the way!

• amykath
    5 years ago

Definitely get the larger rug. You have a lovely space!

• nmsuther61
    5 years ago

Beautiful rug! Definitely think you shoukd fo bigger. Can I ask where you found the rug?

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

Do what you like ..not what the *rules* dictate !

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago

Definitely get the bigger rug..

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

Rules schmules.

• PRO
    Kams Designer Zone
    5 years ago

Beautiful Space! Think for a bigger rug..

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

For those who love rules.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I do not agree that furniture needs to sit on a lovely rug with a beautiful pattern , I happen to like the fact you centered the rug on the window but I do think you could do the larger rug in the space

• PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    5 years ago

It's important the back of your heels are on the rug when sitting on the sofa.

• Laura Grosmaire
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You guys are enablers, lol. Thanks! Will post pics when I get larger rug (Craigslist, by the way).

And thanks for the comment about heels vs. edge of rug.

• Gwen
    5 years ago

decoenthusiast, I've never seen the round rug in one of those rules posts before. I guess I've never seen anyone use a round rug except under a round dining table actually. But I'm curious, why does it break the rules? Seems to have all the coverage needed (heels on rug if seated on couch and all that)...

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Gwen - It may be due to the uneasy conflict between the square symmetry of the seats and the round rug. I think a curved sofa and a loose, casual arrangement of the chairs could work on a round rug. I always advise against loveseats, except for the master bedroom. They are generally a problem to work with, and usually only seat one person, unless they're lovers.

• eastautumn
    5 years ago

How lucky that you found the same rug on CL in a bigger size! I agree that it would look and function better than the current size. The same advice on this forum encouraged me to go bigger in our living room, and I've been thrilled with the result. The rug defines the space where people will sprawl out to play or watch a movie, so a bigger rug makes the space feel bigger by expanding the usable "cozy space" in the room. Love your pretty room!

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.