kandmmccrum

Man hole in lawn and lots of shade

Maree McCrum
5 years ago

Hope someone can help - we have a small rectangle garden area 7meters long x 4.5meters wide. there is quite an unsightly large manhole (about 0.750 diameter). It is 2.5meters inside the length; right in the middle! I am planning to put lillypillys against the 'Bluestone colourbond' 6' fence (hedge), with Buffalo lawn grass as we experience cold frosty winters and hot hot summers (Wagga NSW). The fence is on the west and northern sides with the house walls on the east and southern sides (Recycled brick). So it's very closed in with not a lot of sun coming in due to the walls and the neighbouring house on the Northern side. We wanted to be able to enjoy sitting at a table in this area.

Question: can you grow lawn over a manhole, has anyone had success with this? Is Buffalo grass the best option? (we don't like artificial grass)

or should we make a feature of the manhole - bright arty paintwork or put in a wrought iron fountain...but I think it would intrude on the small space available to sit??...

Comments (10)

• macyjean
    5 years ago

What is the manhole for? Guessing there's an easement? Whatever you do you need to consider access, that's what it's there for.

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    Great description but can you post some pictures? That always helps get the creative thoughts flowing.
  • legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    I don't think you could grow grass over the manhole and you would have to allow sevice access to the hole so I am wondering if you could build a portable deck over it? If the manhole was in the right location for a deck you could build over it with a lift up or lift out section.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

the manhole could be an inspection site for stormwater and needs to remain accessible but you can put some lose gravel over the manhole and stand a big pot with a decorative small tree or portable water feature and there should be plenty of space for a good sized table and chairs but i would be inclined to place the table in best position (which may be over the top of the manhole!!

Maree McCrum thanked oklouise
  • Maree McCrum
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone - yes the manhole is an inspection point for a sewer main, and can't be moved. We are building in a Heritage Listed area and had to have the 'lawn area' located there to get approval from council. It's not ideal, however I'm sure we can make it amazing! oklouise I was concerned that their wouldn't be enough room for the table and chairs, however feeling reassured now there will be thanks; even if it's placed over the top of the manhole (which I hadn't thought of) i'm thinking an umbrella weight sitting on top of it and fairy lights draped to take the eye upward!!

I'll post a picture shortly as we are only up to frame stage on the house!

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    I agree with legendaryflame, a deck would be an ideal solution with a removable cover over the manhole, a gorgeous table and chairs and a market umbrella and you would have a very stylish solution , could even stand a fire pit over the top and build around it, love that idea also oklouise.
  • oklouise
    5 years ago

we have a similar sized lawned courtyard including a 2m deep Lshaped verandah on the north and west, a 2m tall brick wall covered in Bostion Ivy on the east, house on south and west and a round stone bird bath in a similar position to your manhole and easily enough space for a giant table and chairs

• JE C
    5 years ago
    I'm glad Julie suggested the fire pit.. .could be the perfect size and easy to move away when needed. I think you can do plenty with the space you have got.
    Maree McCrum thanked JE C
  • Maree McCrum
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all! I love the idea of the fire pit with pebbles! and we can change it over to the market umbrella and lights in the summer!! Easy to still have access to the manhole too. Yay!! thank you all so much for your ideas. This site is so great! :-)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.