janchew103

advise for purple opuntia

jan chew
5 years ago
Hi, truly appreciate advise for the following: I have circled the pictures leading to the problems of the pad. Is this some kind of disease or an infestation? Can it be pass on to another cactus / succulent? Can the health of this plant be reversed?
Please help! and thank you in advance:))

Comments (2)

• Karla Rey
    5 years ago

Hello. It looks like you have a mealybug problem. You can use alcohol (70%), dabbed on the areas. Also, this is an indication that they are in the soil so you may need to repot them. You can also try to water them with a bit of soapy solution to 'get rid' of the bugs. But would suggest repotting with fresh soil. Yes, the other plants around may be infected so if you have the space, you can isolate them and do the preventive inspection of if the bugs are present in the soil. The presence of ants is an indication that mealybugs may be present. Let us know how you go :)

• jan chew
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hello Karla
    Thank you for your advise:)
    Condition has gotten from bad to worse. There were alot of patches (like the ones i have circled) and i was thinking it might mites and probably beyond salvage and threw it away.
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.