sapphire131

Wood Putty or Wood Glue

SEA SEA
5 years ago

Woodworking novice here. I have a 161 year old wooden buffet that one of the door hinges/screw came out of the frame-the door is just hanging by the top hinge now.

I am thinking maybe I could put some wood putty in the screw holes, let it set a bit to firm up, then try to hand screw the screw back in and stabilize the door for a few days until dried. Or, maybe I could do same process, but with Gorilla glue for wood.

Anyone know if I am on the right track for getting the door hinge screw back in and functional again?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• User
    5 years ago

Bset long term fix is to use a dab or three of regular wood glue)Gorilla glue foams and is not a good choice for filling voids like a screw hole) and driving as many wood toothpicks into the hole (usually three or four). Break them off flush with the surfsace and wait 24 hours. Then reinstall the screw(s).

SEA SEA thanked User
  • PRO
    Boen Signature Construction Services, LLC
    5 years ago

The old holes need to be stuffed with wood. You can add a little wood glue too. Fill holes and cut flush with face of the frame. Then you can re-install the screws. Toothpicks will work in a pinch but it would be best to find a wood of the same species an as needed apply a little matching wood stain and varnish if the holes are larger than the edge of the hinge.

SEA SEA thanked Boen Signature Construction Services, LLC
  • SEA SEA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate the time taken and thoughts shared.

I do value this buffet and would like to repair it properly so it can continue on like it has to date.

Any chance rewiregand is in the Nor Cal/Nor NV region?

• User
    5 years ago

I agree using a cross grain plug is the best repair(and do it all the time), but the question was how to easily repair the problem. Stuffing toothpicks(I forgot to specify round or square types, since the flat type will not work well) is the best non damaging way---and can easily be replaced by installing a cross grain plug.

The average DIYer seldom has the expertise to identify 161 year old wood and finish, much less have the necessary tools or material to make/install cross grain plugs.

SEA SEA thanked User
  • SEA SEA
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you HandyMac for writing in again. I am not even to the average diy expertise level sorry to say, and my feelings won't be hurt by anyone saying so. I hope to figure out how to do this with all the replies you've all given without hurting the piece. Lacking tools listed too. I have a hammer, screwdriver and adjustable wrench in total. I'm at the thinking on it stage right now. I won't proceed until I feel more confident about this. I'm sure it's simple, but no experience here, so am nervous about it.

I've taken a photo of the area

The photo makes the area appear larger than it is and this affords better viewing than in real life. To my untrained eye, it looks as if the hinge might not be original to the piece. This possibly being the case I am going to want to take extra care with this repair.

• toxcrusadr
    5 years ago

Another technique I've used (never tried the toothpicks) was to mix wood glue and sawdust, pack it loosely in the hole, then screw in the screw while it's still wet. Before you do that, remove the hinge from the door so you're attaching only the hinge. Then when it's dry you can re-attach the door to the hinge.

I agree the plug method is the best but it does require slightly more tools and skills.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

Toothpicks and glue may work for screws that don't have a lot of load on them, but door hinges need better support. If you buy a forstner drill bit you can drill a nice clean hole for a hardwood plug, and then use heavy duty wood glue to keep it in place so you can drill a new hole. The forstner bit gives you a hole with a relatively flat bottom, which should work better than a standard tapered bit.

Since this does not appear to be an original design that needs to be preserved, my other suggestion is to drill a third hole in the hinge, about mid way between the two other holes, and offset it a little to the inside. Its very common for hinges to have three holes when they support a heavy door, and you could just use that third hole to get better support.

Bruce

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.