marlags

Outdoor tropical plant suggestions for terrace planter?

marlags
5 years ago

We are looking for hardy tropical plants to put in a planter on our terrace. The photo is of the 4m x 1m planter. Wall is south facing, and gets half sun/half shade. The rest of the garden is planted with bamboo, palm trees and an overall tropical look. Any suggestions welcome! Many thanks

Comments (7)

• Sven
    5 years ago

Trachycarpus fortunei is a fully hardy palm in U.K. and grows as a single trunk like tropical palms. Am not sure if it will look good in that planter: am thinking 2 Tetrapanax and some red foliage plants?

• Alix W
    5 years ago
    Maybe add trachelospermum - star jasmine - as a climber? Evergreen, fragrant and tropical looking. And cannas in summer will look fantastic.
  • PRO
    Green & Gorgeous
    5 years ago

Calistemon and euphorbia purpurea are all good additions to a tropical-style scheme. Zantedeschia and agapanthus also fit in well amongst phormiums and larger leaved plants such as Fatsia.

• PRO
    Gardenwise
    5 years ago

Hi Marlags, although they aren't evergreen, as Alix W said, Cannas are fast growing and make an amazing display, check out this Google search, and you'll see many have amazing foliage as well as flowers - Canna, Google images search - And yes, the rhizomes are not hardy, but I think it it unlikely they will freeze in your planter. Having said that, you'll probably want to lift them and divide them during dormancy anyway because they grow so vigorously!

• donut99
    5 years ago
    Hi, although they aren't essentially thought of as tropical, what about a few low growing pines for evergreen architectural shape. I love the Crocus website for plant info and eventual size and spread, but try to buy from the local garden centre if poss
  • PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

If you want hardy stuff then you could look at Restio's. They look very tropical but they need good drainage in fact. As they are South African they could perhaps go with Schicostylis coccinea which would give colour for many months. If there is enough sun Gladiolus such as the various G.nanus cultivars could be used for Summer colour.

In terms of shrubs, I would look at Pittosporum tobira and Eriobotrya japonica (Loquat). Osmanthus delavayi would train well against the wall and flower in early Spring.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.