webuser_813212793

Kitchen Design Splashback and Stone Advice

HU-813212793
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Wondering what people think about the following colouring for a kitchen

Alpine white benchtops

Tinted mirror/smoky mirror splashback

Michelangelo Quartz stone for island bench (feature)

similar to the look in picture

We however have a much longer back benchtop (5m) going right into our WIP.

The mirror and Alpine white benchtop would continue into the WIP.

Floor will be floorboards

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Hard to make a comment without a picture.

I am always cautious about mirror splashbacks. It really depends on what they are reflecting. If the reflection is the back of your toaster, or the door to your laundry then I would go with tiles. If you have an ocean view to reflect then go for it!

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    Love a white benchtop. Hate a glass splashback. Love the continuity into the pantry.
  • PRO
    The Marble Man
    5 years ago

The Marble Man would recommend you have the stone sealed for stain prevention. Sealing natural stone with deep penetrating sealant does not prevent etching however your choice of stone will not need to be sealed. Should you have a chip or crack in the stone give The Marble Man a call for professional stone repairs - view our website for solid advice on stone - www.themarbleman.com.au Call 1300 627 626

• HU-813212793
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here are some pictures to help you visualise. No ocean reflection unfortunately but i would think that the tinted mirror gives off less of a reflection that plain mirror.

I also dislike glass.

the alternative is white stone splashback to match that benchtop but this will look very clinical

• PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    5 years ago

I think the look you are going for is gorgeous! But I admit that I too am surprised your considering a smoky mirror splashback if you dislike glass? But again, it all depends on the vision you have for your kitchen. As Dr Retro has wisely pointed out, depending on what is opposite, will depend on what you're reflecting... or, what you have on your kitchen bench and if you want to see it doubled. I think in certain applications, smoky mirror splashbacks can look really beautiful but if you're not fond of glass, why not start with a material that you love and go from there? I have developed a bit of a thing for Southern Cross Ceramics and all the different tiles they have available - in beautiful colour tones, patterns.... aaaaah it's hard to make a decision! It doesn't need to be a dark colour if that is not where you heart lies, but some soft muted colours could work beautifully. I also saw a designer recently laid I believe it was a mix of matt and gloss white subway tiles in a herringbone formation (correct me if I'm wrong anyone??) so that it had a little twinkle here and there... it looked beautiful. As much as I love a mostly white kitchen, I think a little colour & texture that compliments your marble would be a great way to go.I even saw some silver/copper foil looking tiles as part of a splashback to give a kitchen that bit of glam. Before you commit to smoky mirror splashback, maybe have a look at some other options that will compliment your style and see if anything else grabs you :) Good luck.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

do you have any other photos showing the run into the pantry and how that is set up. I actually love mirrored splash backs in the right situation, I helped my daughter with her kitchen and she chose mirror it looked great.

• HU-813212793
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t have any photos at the moment- I am waiting for the cabinet makers to send me elevations of the layout so will post here as soon as I do.

what I meant to say was I dislike the coloured glass options. I understand it gives the same effect but if I had to choose mirror would be more my style.

Does anyone have an opinion on a Stone splashback. I would love to do it in the Michelangelo stone (same as the island) but budgets does not permit this

• how2girl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have island, bench, & the splashback in Michelangelo, looks divine. Can you pick a tone out of the Michelangelo or a contrast & find a natural stone tile or one of the large format porcelain sheets for the splashback?

• HU-813212793
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can you post pictures of your kitchen? I did look at the porcelain tiles initially (The Pallisandro one) i thought it would go well with the alpine white - it does have a blue tinge to it though.

I even Thought of complimenting it with a panel on the underbench.

i also thought about the Ash grey stone for the splashback but then it might be too many colours including the Malt colour floor boards.

I did find the a nice 600 x 1200 tile (jewel marble range) with a vein in it for the splashback but the height from benchtop to cupbord is 650 so you will get extra pieces and joins

• HU-813212793
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Has anyone used something like this for their splashback

https://www.nationaltiles.com.au/ultraslim-xl-folio-statuario-tile

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.