webuser_208562396

Please weigh in on this light fixture

Teresa Ccc
5 years ago

I am looking to replace my hallway light fixtures. I was thinking of this for the hallways. Is the style cohesive with the fixture hanging over my kitchen table? Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• leelee
    5 years ago

I think you can get a better match. The shade looks really modern but the dining light is more traditional.

Hallway light fixtures don't get a lot of attention so you can probably find something that works without being too dramatic.

• Teresa Ccc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Leelee! Do you think this one is any better? (I am selling my house in 1.5 years, so looking for economical options.)

• schnable1
    5 years ago
    The second one is no different in style than the first. Also, while you are looking for a second one did you measure the necessary clearnce if there are doors opening into the hall?
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    The second one is better because Is throws more light t the ceiling.
  • michael_richardson41
    5 years ago

I agree with Lee, the new fixture doesn't quite match. The style is a bit diff. Keep searching

• Daniel Luna
    5 years ago

Hallway lights should be kept a minimal since most hallway spaces are small.

• annied75
    5 years ago
    I have the first light that you posted in one of my bedrooms. I love the clean look of it and the linen shade adds a casual style. My decor is a mix of traditional and eclectic. Personally, I think the light fixture will look nice in your hallway.
  • acm
    5 years ago

I think they match fine -- both are modern takes on traditional types of lights, and these hall lights won't draw more attention than they need to. I'd go for it -- you can make yourself crazy with options!

• Michelle Regnier
    5 years ago

If you like the hallway light you have chosen then I say go for it! There is no set rule that you have to have the same style throughout the entire house.

• Debbie Templeton
    5 years ago

I'd be concerned the fabric would fade or get dirty.

• threers
    5 years ago

A question was asked :Is this fixture style "cohesive" with my kitchen fixture. The answer is no.

They are two very different styles. Keep looking if you want the styles to be cohesive which means they are some relationship in style to one another.

• leelee
    5 years ago

I get that you want your home to show well when you're ready to sell but you might be spending money unnecessarily. The new owner might want to replace all the lighting. Hard to know. I think keep the hall lights very simple. They aren't something that needs attention.

What do your current lights look like?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The dining chairs are Sheild Back and were a typical reproduction from 30’s and 40’s.

So, I suggest your hang the pendant in the hall. The square, flat top will allow you to have some cord, to make it a semi-flush fixture.

For the kitchen table, consider one of these tiered fabric shade chandelier (depending on the size of your table) in black finish.

Love the old Hepplwhite chairs. Keep them, and you ever want to change up the look of the kitchen, paint them.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    If your ceiling height is 8’ you don’t want anything hanging down and you will want a flush mount. If you have higher than 8’ you could consider a semi flush mount like this. You NEED good wattage and the ability to dim (the fixture I show would be great for good hallway lighting). Also a shade that is white and not beige like you show is better (cleaner looking light and not dingy looking).
    2-Light Semi-Flush Mount, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info
  • Teresa Ccc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Here are what current lights look like (and sorry for poorly lit photos); they are very Tuscan-y, which I am trying to downplay. I'm selling this 25-year Florida house in 1-2 years due to retirement and trying to modernize. My house is in an established neighborhood of similarly-styled homes but my competition is new development one town over, where everything is fresh. I know that light fixtures won't make or break the sale, but trying to look a little like the competition (which isn't really competition since it is a different town, but newcomers to the area don't quite realize that).

• annied75
    5 years ago
    While I think it's a good idea to know the competition, I wouldn't get too caught up in it. You'll always find buyers that prefer established neighborhoods with larger trees, charm, etc. New definitely isn't better in my book ;)
  • PRO
    Chadwick Design
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is the first thing that comes to my mind as a complimentary piece.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.