melissa_hurtado_haghighi

Brick fireplace dilemna

Before photo

Currently we are trying to figure out what to do with the hearth

The brick is broken and mortar is crumbling after they removed the hearth. How do I resolve this? What is best material for a floor hearth? I’m having zero inspiration

Comments (4)

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

I'd call in a mason for advice and to make sure the crumbling doesn't cause any fire hazard.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

Agreed. A brick mason can remove the crumbling bricks and repair the mortar. I used one to repair several bricks and the keystone over the door of my 1949 cape cod.

As for the hearth, a granite remnant, piece of marble, or slate slab are all good possibilities.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    Agree with the others about the mason. Soapstone is a good hearth, too. Depends what you like. Can do many different surfaces. Since the fireplace doesn’t sit on the floor, you may be able to extend the current flooring. Check local code, though.
  • PRO
    Gavin Historical Bricks
    5 years ago

Yep, looks like you need to call a mason on this one.

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.