sarahachevalier

36" induction range

sarahachevalier
5 years ago

I am looking for advice on 36" induction ranges. I went to the local appliance store today and there were three choices:

• Wolf
  • Bertazzoni
  • Fisher & Paykel

Wolf was definitely more expensive. Bertazzoni has negative reviews, but I am having trouble finding recent ones. Fisher & Paykel appears relatively new.

I would like to make an induction range work in my space, but could consider the alternative of 36" induction cooktop + wall oven if necessary.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

I'm looking at the exact same thing. 36" induction range. Love the look of the Bertazzoni but can't find any reviews for this model. The Fisher & Paykel looks promising. I'm also looking at the GE Monogram sliver cooktop over a wall oven. I saw an Ilve 36" range on Ask This Old House this week and it was gorgeous. Can't seem to find it anywhere online so I do not know where the show's featured homeowner got it.

I'm interest to see how this thread progresses.

sarahachevalier thanked Dorys Prentice
  • waverly6
    5 years ago

I was looking at the same thing. Started off looking at a 30 inch induction range as there were a lot of choices. Went up to a 36 inch as i just feel the configuration works better and better flexibility. Then changed over to a 36 inch cooktop and a 30 inch wall oven plus a cso as there are just so many options for both. Too many options in fact. But my major consideration is that i really feel that crouching down to use the floor level island is just not a great or practical idea for the amount of time I will be using the oven. I saw the Ilve at an appliance store in Maryland so it seems to be more readily available than I had thought.

sarahachevalier thanked waverly6
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

The electrical practicalities limit power and functionality. Move to doing a separate 36” cooktop and wall oven.

sarahachevalier thanked User
  • Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

@The Cook's Kitchen- Can you please be more specific? What do you mean by "The electrical practicalities limit power and functionality?"

sarahachevalier thanked Dorys Prentice
  • kaseki
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't want to step on The Cook's Kitchen response, but please keep in mind that the environment that electronics can live in is a lot more restricted than electric coils can live in. Induction cooktops need a lot of air cooling to operate, and this implies added volume (depth into space below) and not having a hot oven helping to warm that space. Anything can be accomplished for enough money, but even Wolf has a limit on what price they can sell at.

Further, my 36-inch Frigidaire cooktop requires 50A wiring (actual peak load is 42A, as I recall) and a large oven could require enough on its own to force 4AWG or fatter power conductors with appropriate breakers. The more load it has, the more cooling required. More cooling needs more space and louder fans. Separate ovens and cooktops helps avoid that. The combination as a range has to live with wimpier oven power and/or cooktop power.

sarahachevalier thanked kaseki
  • Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

Ok, so are we talking about having an all-in-one induction range/oven or having a separate cooktop over a single wall oven? If the latter, then if the manufacturer's installation instructions allow for a single wall oven underneath, you find the appropriately sized oven to fit the min clearances and each appliance is connected electrically as specified, then what is the issue? Not trying to be combative.. just trying to understand. :-)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Prices zoom for these 36" ranges because only fancy-pants manufacturers produce them. The two Consumer Reports's top-rated 30" slide-in ranges are the GE Profile PHS930SLSS and LG LSE4617ST both at about $2500. The two cheapest 36" products are the Bertazzoni MAST365INMXE at $4700 and the Fisher Paykel OR36SDI6X1 at a whopping $6200.

• Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

Thank you for the explanation TCK... that makes sense... but Age in Place??? I don't plan to age.. haha.

I'm trying to figure out if I can manage a wall oven in a cabinet. My kitchen is only a 16x8 galley and I HATE it, but that is what I have. I don't bake very often so I may still go with an undercounter oven but have it offset so I still have the counter space. This thread shows an option with wall oven under counter and hanging/over the range microwave next to the cook top. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5346322/need-to-decide-wall-oven-next-to-cooktop-or-under-cooktop#n=14

• Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

@Lawrence - it's a shame there aren't any more choices for a 36" induction range.

• slsunrise
    4 years ago

Dorys Prentice - what did you end up going with? I'm in a similar boat!

• Dorys Prentice
    4 years ago

@slsunrise - Nothing yet. I'm still in the planning phase. However, it looks like I will go with a 36" induction cooktop and a wall oven underneath. Looking at the GE Profile, Cafe and Monogram induction and on of GE's french door ovens.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.