alisondfairhurst

difficult fireplace

Alison F
5 years ago
I would love some advice for making over this beast of a fireplace. The house is dark inside as it is and the fireplace seems to add to that issue. The house is in the country but isn’t particularly rustic outside of this fireplace so I am hoping for something that can make the room look more updated. I can put a few thousand into this project and am also decent at DIY. Thanks for your time! Alison

Comments (10)

• Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Check on Houzz TV. I remember one program where a skater remodel a friend’s widow house with similar problem.
  • Alison F
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks, Daniela. I just watched it (tony hawk remodeling a friend’s house) and something like that might work.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is the referenced fireplace:

My Houzz: Pro Skater Tony Hawk Stuns Friend With Surprise Remodel · More Info

My Houzz: Pro Skater Tony Hawk Stuns Friend With Surprise Remodel · More Info

• Alison F
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That whitewash is lovely! Thank you!
  • Daniela Marino
    5 years ago
    Beautiful ! Better than the other example.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Now that I see the rest of your house, I vote for light touch of whitewash also.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    The whitewash is nice, I love the look of the brick with plaster over it, looks more modern
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    5 years ago
    I love the idea of painting or whitewashing the brick, and doing some kind of wood treatment above it. Way too much brick for the size of the wood stove and space!!
  • Alison F
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much for the helpful ideas— I just finished the German Smear process today!
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.