fezzaroni

Color advice? Will painting these cabinets mess with resale value?

fezzaroni
5 years ago

Last year we have purchased our perfect home knowing we'd have to update a few areas to make it our style. One of these areas is the kitchen.

Coming from Europe, we really like the modern European style but that seems to be the most expensive. So rather than getting a whole new kitchen and replace an intact one, we'd like to paint the cabinets. After going through a few options, I am now scared to mess with this wood that seems to be pretty good quality. Would I be making a big mistake by painting them? I just can't deal with all this dark wood, even though the kitchen is pretty big. It almost makes me depressed. We want something light and fresh but can't decide on a color scheme / style. Grey cabinets and a different, fresh wall color? Antique white cabinets? White wash? What would go well with this floor and eventually (years from now) a newer, darker tile floor and the black granite?

Any advice and suggestions welcome!

This is our current kitchen:

some ideas we like:

Comments (27)

• ericakn
    5 years ago

I would get a new countertop and backsplash and keep the cabinets.

• kim k
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don't think you are going to get the result you want just with paint. If you look at your inspiration pictures the cabinets have clean lines, no arches at the top giving it a less traditional look and in your last pic the cabinets are completely different they appear to be shaker and inset. How soon are you moving? If you're worrying about resale I'd leave them alone, if not have you considered IKEA? They have affordable modern European styles.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Those are nice cabinets. DIY paint jobs don't last long and professional ones are almost as much as new cabinets.

The darkness is coming from the backsplash and countertop. Replace those, invest in better lighting and it will feel much brighter. The black appliances are also sucking the light out of the room.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

I agree with Erica - changing the black counter and splash (which for me is the real villain, ugh) will help a LOT and be more cost-effective in the long run. A nice stainless hood instead of the microwave (and all stainless appliances if that is in your budget) would help too. The cabinets themselves aren't a style I would choose but they look like they're high-quality and in good shape. A hardware change could give them a whole new look very inexpensively.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    I'd think about replacing the stone before Id repaint the cabinets. It seems to me that the dark benches and backsplash are sucking the life and light out of the kitchen.
  • mccarthy367
    5 years ago
    I would change counter tops & backsplash, and put in more lighting - recessed and under cabinet. Good lighting has change the way I feel about my house and very shady lot.
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Change the countertops & backsplash. That is was is creating a black hole in your kitchen.

• fezzaroni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all. You are right, backsplash, countertop and all dark appliances do make it look much darker. It is all granite though, so probably not easily removable/replaceable? Or is there something durable, not cheap looking to stick over it? that doesn't cost a fortune? We dislike the brown color of the cabinets more than the black countertop, so changing that and not the cabinets is likely not going to happen very soon as that is probably more expensive as the cabinets. Thank you!!

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

The cabinets as beautiful and being in the field I prefer wood but....

1. If they are hideous to you, I would suggest you sell them. We have many clients who post them as pictured and sell them quite easily.

2. You can re-purpose them in another room.

3. You can repaint them but you will not get the look you want as they are more traditional in lines etc.

4. Think if the budget calls to re-paint which can be upwards of 5K+.

5. You most probably will have to change the floor as well to match grey cabinets.

6. I would hire a designer ofr have one of your local remodeling co's in you area visit your home and give you a quote for a renovation in your area. Then you can decide if it's in your budget to renovate or to explore other avenues in order to get your kitchen in the level you are in need of.

7. If you decide to keep the cabinets you can:

-Change the counter

- New wall paint

- New hardware

- New backsplash

There are many threads here that have incorporated the more grey tones with the wood tone in their cabinets

I know all the rage is blue, grey, and white, but wood tones are on their way back.

As far as re-sale value it depends on when you will sell and the area you live.

If you are going to live there let's say 10 years, do what you want. A lot of things can change in 10yrs.

5yrs consult with your realtor.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Very comprehensive and accurate advice from Filipe!

If it can help any with palette inspiration, here's a slideshow on current wood cabinets in kitchen and baths and a blog post on timeless wood kitchens. Good luck with your decision. Hope you keep us posted.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    5 years ago

A quality paint job on the cabinets will probably be the same cost (or more) than new counters and backsplash.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

I'm going to enter a vote for backsplash and counters, not trying to paint those cabinets (which I like, but adds nothing to my vote since you are the one cooking in that kitchen). Or, at least backsplash if that could be removed without damaging anything. Is there undercabinet lighting? If not, add it. If so, use it ;0)

• smileythecat
    5 years ago

would not paint the cabs, back splash could be changed, something lighter. would not change the countertop. Live with this for a while, sounds like you all won't be happy till you do a complete reno, save your money and do something you like.

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    Backsplash, countertop, lighting. Those will brighten things up significantly. Granite countertops are removed on a pretty regular basis. IMO, Gray is a depressing color.
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

Another one who wouldn't paint the cabinets. Would also think about updating the floor.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I'd leave it all alone until I could afford to redo the entire kitchen. You will be spending a lot on piecemeal "improvements" that will not really improve the kitchen, but will waste a lot of your money.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

You could two-tone (tuxedo) by painting just the uppers. It might lighten things enough with a lighter backsplash to get more time out the cabs. You will not get a modern vibe with the arched doors.

• M Miller
    5 years ago

“we really like the modern European style but that seems to be the most expensive.”

Nope. There are Ikea cabinets. Reasonably priced. If you don’t want to put them together yourself, you can hire a contractor to do it.

Also, the two photos you posted are not “the modern European style”. They seem rather traditional to me. Before investing in changing things in your kitchen, pin down more what style you really like.

As has been mentioned already, your current cabinets have the dated arch design. They also don’t reach the ceiling. Painting them won’t change that, and I think you’ll be disappointed in the result.

You don’t mention budget. If you have the funds, change out the whole kitchen for a new kitchen that is in line with the dream kitchen you want for your house. I am guesstimating - assuming you don’t make structural changes like taking down walls - it will cost $30-40k if you make middle-of-the-road choices.

If you don’t want an entire re-do, I’ll repeat what others have said - change the counters, backsplash, and switch out the black-hole appliances for gleaming, reflective stainless steel ones. When you change the counters, you’ll want to replace the sink with a more current one, and remove the little tree line of sink fixtures you have there for a single-handle integrated-spray faucet.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

So sad--- all that black and uba tuba granite we put in years ago, so unappreciated nowadays. IMO, I think your kitchen is still very pretty...just a bit too dark for todays trends. I'd keep it until you can afford to sell the kitchen and redo all new. A site painted kitchen will never be as nice as the stained finish there now.

• fezzaroni
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@the kitchen place, yes, I do like the black granite (it wouldn't be my choice if I bought a brand new kitchen, but I don't mind it), I just dislike the style of the rest and especially the brown tone. I was hoping for a "yes, do paint your kitchen and it will look great", despite knowing that that was probably unrealistic. But I really appreciate all of the inputs, I personally would not have thought of the backsplash, maybe we'll just start there for now and make more use of the under cabinet lighting. Very good advice and inspiration here though.

• PRO
    At Last Home Staging & Redesign
    5 years ago

I think painting good quality or new kitchen cabinets should be the last resort, unless you want a total kitchen remodel, try changing the front doors of the cabinets to a more contemporary style, different color counter tops, backsplash and lighting, hardware, sink. I think you can get a happier look without breaking the bank.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

You need to get some facts so you can make an informed decision.

Call a painter - one that specializes in painting cabinets - get a quote.

Measure your cabinets, kitchen and take that info to a design center and find out how much new cabinets would cost.

Once you have your numbers, you can make an intelligent decision whether it's worth painting and transforming the kitchen you hate to something you'll love.

I've never once seen a painter's quote that was anywhere near what it costs to replace cabinets. And no one ever just replaces cabinets. It ends up being a kitchen remodel a.k.a. project creep.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Painting the cabinets will not change the style of the doors.

Judging by your inspiration photos, a whole remodel with new cabinets, new countertop suggested to truly get the look you prefer.

Since the countertop & backsplash needs to be replaced, because it is so dark, the best time to get new cabinets is when changing countertop.

Your $ will be well spent getting exactly what you want when your ready to redo.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

You are no going to get where you want with a coat of paint or a change in backsplash. If it were me, I would live with what is there until I moved, or until I wanted to spend the money to achieve the desired look. There is no point in playing around with the edges and not achieving anything substantive. Focus on the rest of the house.

Actually, if this really were my kitchen I would take the counter and backsplash out and replace with real marble. That would brighten things up a bit and tide me over until I could get what I really wanted.

• HU-161159613
    5 years ago

Have you thought about having your cabinets refaced and painted instead of replacing them? This would give you the modern light look that you like?

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.