jonathandb1972

warped internal door

Jonathan
5 years ago
I have an internal door that is warped. It’s always been warped since I moved in and it is now time to do something about it. Someone told me you have to leave them flat outside in the rain to self correct- is that true?- it seems unlikely and I will be likely having to replace it.

Comments (12)

• Chris Goodchild
    5 years ago

I suspect the door was either made from poorly seasoned timber or, more likely, was left outside, got wet and was then brought inside and dried quickly. I doubt anything you do will remove the warp it would be better to replace it

• PRO
    Priors Period Ironmongery
    5 years ago

Hello Jonathan, we sold doors some while back and once the wood is warped that's it! Nothing you can do to reverse it. The warping is caused by moisture as outlined by Chris. You could put up with it or find a new door from a reclamation yard. If you need any new door knobs we can help. Traditional door knobs Good luck!

• E D
    5 years ago
    Yes, I think Priors is right, no way to straighten it. Re-hanging the door can sometimes help a little but might not be worth the trouble.
    I do like your door though.
    You could try and find a reclaimed door to replace.
  • Jonathan
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I agree- I am going to find a replacement
  • PRO
    Priors Period Ironmongery
    5 years ago

Good idea! If it is close to a standard size 1980 x 760mm, these are harder to find. Try Salvo website for a list of reclamation places in your area.

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    4 years ago

Might be a stupid question but have you checked its actually the door is out and not the wall/frame or a combination of both

• Jonathan
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks for asking- its definitely the door
  • PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    4 years ago

could it be turned round and re hung as it does look a nice door and in keeping with the architrave

• Jonathan
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Good suggestion but I am now of the opinion that it can’t be salvaged and so when I see a replacement the right size I will get it.
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Or you do a total bodge job... Yeah I'm going to take it off and try it back to front. I did find it in the back lane on the first place so nothing to lose.

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago
    *could do
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.