jennifer_inman93

Help with ugly 1960s house

Jennifer Inman
5 years ago

Hey guys

any ideas on how I can improve the exterior of my house, I orginially thought grey windows and cedar cladding but think the grey windows may be to expensive.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Origin - Doors and Windows
    5 years ago

Hi Jennifer, new windows would be a good investment. Our windows come with a 20-year guarantee so are built to last. New windows are likely to also reduce your energy bills as they'll be more thermally efficient. If you'd like more info please get in touch :-)

• PRO
    i-architect
    5 years ago

It massively depends on your budget. The quickest and cheapest option would be to paint the brown wood either a colour that you love or a white that matches the windows and the rest of the cladding. Then add some beautiful planting in the front garden. You could do this to start with while you save up for more expensive works.

If you've got more money then changing the windows and the cladding is the easiest and most effective way to update both the look and the energy performance of your home. You have so many options for this.

Personally I'm so bored with grey windows but they are a good stand-by safe option. You will find this facebook live helpful, giving advice on things to take into account when you're choosing the colour for your windows: https://www.facebook.com/iarchitectUK/videos/1138180466332470/

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

• Jennifer Inman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This looks amazing !! What is on the brick

• Jennifer Inman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@celerygirl can you make one in white

• rinked
    5 years ago

I guess it's a terraced house? What do the others look like? Any standing out?

Double glazing? Plastic frames? Wooden door or plastic too?

Is the meter behind the wooden cladding? Is the front garden yours too?

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here is a white

• A B
    5 years ago

I'd definitely paint the brown wood a retro colour- maybe orange. Would look so cool!

• Jennifer Inman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry @celerygirl can you do one with

white windows ?

• mattweeksdj
    5 years ago
    I think the first thing to do would be to paint the wood or look to reclad - could go for a tile? I think the biggest issue may the be rest of the terrace and those around you, so you may not want to go all out. subtle changes you make will likely have the biggest impact
  • PRO
    5 years ago

You already have your windows white.

• Jennifer Inman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much can you do the cedar cladding with the white windows if you get 5 mins

• Jennifer Inman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank upi’

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.