delrey97

Opinion on this wallpaper for Powder Room

sunshine home
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, I’m updating my powder room, and the current paper is peeling away so I want to have it replaced. I’ll be changing the vanity and paint colors as well. Opinions on the paper itself? Does it look dated? I wanted a bold look, and was thinking of painting the rest of the walls a light color as well and maybe add some trim (chair rail probably).

Here is the paper:

This is my powder room right now:

I also have another mirror to Replace the current one, which I’ll post in a bit.

Also maybe this vanity

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

I don't love the wallpaper, but more importantly it doesn't go with the proposed vanity. Also, for a powder room a feature wall doesn't have the same impact. Wallpaper all the walls for a statement. No chair rail either, it doesn't make sense for a powder room.

sunshine home thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • megs1030
    5 years ago

Hmmm, it's not my style and it is a little dated, but it is bold. Is the background color gray or brown? Both pictures are different. If you are installing chair rail, I would extend the wallpaper on all 4 walls above the chair rail and then paint something light and neutral below the chair rail.

sunshine home thanked megs1030
  • Deb Adkins
    5 years ago
    I like the wall paper but it is very traditional and the vanity is contempary. Your current wallpaper is more transitional and I think would look good with the vanity.
    sunshine home thanked Deb Adkins
  • M Miller
    5 years ago

I have a powder room that has not been updated since the early ‘90s. It is so blah. I am pretty conservative in the rest of my home, but I thought the powder room would be the little jewel box where I can LET LOOSE. So I am going for color! and bold! (SO unlike me usually!). I’ve saved some of these picsfor inspiration.

Check out the brass trim with nailheads along the wainscoting. And the sconces’ green lampshades. Wallpaper is by Tulu Textiles.

Cheerful and sunny and wild, Christopher Farr “carnival” wallpaper:

Decor for only the very bravest, the Ralph Lauren restaurant in NYC men’s room. Not for me, but oh, that gold ceiling and green tiles!

sunshine home thanked M Miller
  • sunshine home
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! I’m going to scrap that idea And probably do the entire room in a beautiful paper. I’m leaning chinoiserie but it’s quite expensive.

How about any of these?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

All my bathrooms have been wallpapered and that is saying a lot! So, with the brown vanity and white sink, consider this Thibaut paper. It is one of my favorites and comes in many color ways.

sunshine home thanked JudyG Designs
  • tatts
    5 years ago

All these people have expressed their opinion on your wallpaper, and for what? Only you will ever see it--not them. And, most importantly--it's a bathroom!

Is this really not a decision that you can make on your own? It's really simple. It's one small step up from 'What should I have for dinner tonight?'

Do you like it? Buy it. Done.

sunshine home thanked tatts
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    5 years ago

Certainly do not consider a grasscloth for a bathroom. Personally, I like your choice, what we cannot see is the scale of the pattern. Can you take another photo of the paper with a fork of knife on it just so we can see scale? I would also wallpaper the entire space. Is there a ceiling light fixture in the room or just one over the sink?

sunshine home thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • Laura Grosmaire
    5 years ago

This is very different from your style, but there are some similarities to the bluish wallpaper you chose. You can at least get a sense of it. This is a combo laundry/bathroom, and is in a (real) farmhouse. Everyone that sees the room loves the wallpaper.

sunshine home thanked Laura Grosmaire
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    5 years ago

Oh I think Manon's suggestion is a wonderful one for a powder room, which this is, and will not subject to the steaminess of a full bath.

• salonva
    5 years ago

I love the middle one (the gold roses) as well as the one below it (blue geometric).

I did think the original was pretty nice too but these have more impact. Totally different feel. All lovely

sunshine home thanked salonva
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

I love the roses, too. So whimsical!

sunshine home thanked houssaon
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Paper with a smaller repeating pattern might be better with several items to cut and place correctly -- but this is pretty / also in aqua, etc...

Rockport Beach House · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/rockport-beach-house-beach-style-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~15910638

sunshine home thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Rich dark like coffee --

Spot 3, A Hint of Elegance Metallic, Black Wallpaper Roll, Modern Wall Decor · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/spot-3-a-hint-of-elegance-metallic-black-wallpaper-roll-modern-wall-decor-prvw-vr~100362689

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Very simple shape could let other parts of the room 'show' - mirror, etc. etc.

Arboretum Honey Leaves Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/arboretum-honey-leaves-wallpaper-bolt-prvw-vr~51845937

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Says non-woven:

Frequency Beige Ogee Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

I personally love the first choice of the blue with the antelope. I would definitely paper the entire room too. Best wishes!

sunshine home thanked R.D. London Studios
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Good to read again, and so you said you want a bold look.

Blue - but that blue has 2 character/figures, and would they really 'show' so well on small wall sections?

• sunshine home
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions! Hopefully I will remember to update you guys with a pic after the bathroom is complete!

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    5 years ago

Sunshine, loving your blue on blue medieval tapestry and JudyG's chinoiserie.

Sponsored
Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.