geetzy

Paint dilemma for dorma bedroom

G Beans
4 years ago
Hello!
We’ve just had our bedroom plastered and fitted drawers will be fitted into the alcoves.
My question is how do I paint this bedroom?
I am planning to paint the walls with Farrow & Ball Hague Blue or Stiffkey Blue and the ceiling white.
However, the area above the fireplace is tricky as there’s another ceiling? Is this white?
Some people say to paint the walls and ceiling all in the chosen colour, but I’m worried the room will look too dark.
The new drawers will also be painted with the same wall colour.
Ideas please?
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Rukmini Patel Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hiya - I suggest you do the walls in dark blue and keep the ceiling nice and bright with white. For the fireplace, I would follow the same principle if you want it to look similar, walls blue and the ceiling white. If however you fancy something a bit different have you thought about wallpapering the walls? It would look quite creative and different.

As for your drawers painting them the same colour as the walls makes sense too. I suggest gold or copper tones for the handles, to warm up the space a little. These door handles from Dowsing and Reynolds are gorgeous! Sorry I know you didn't ask for door handles, but I just couldn't help myself!

Hope that helps, Rukmini Patel Interior Design

• PRO
    Renata Drumond Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hi Geetzy!

I consider Light to be the most important aspect to consider when I specify colours for the rooms I design. Is your room bright or dark? Have you consider how the light changes in your room throughout the day? I believe we should not try to fight the nature of a room, a light room should be kept light and a dark room, dark - that we way we avoid it looking flat and lifeless. Now, your room looks like it doesn't have an abundance of natural light, so I would definitely fight the temptation to force it to feel brighter. I absolutely love the colours you mentioned, F&B Hague Blue and Stiffkey Blue and I think they would work perfectly! However, I would not advise a bright white ceiling, as this would only highlight where the walls end and the ceiling being. And the walls in some parts of your bedrooms are quite short. And if you decided to paint the eaves white, this would highlight a small patch of flat ceiling. Having the same colour on the ceiling as the wall, makes it difficult to tell where one ends and the other beings, giving the impression of the ceiling being raised. So I would say, go for one colour. A warm, darker colour/wallpaper, will make your room feel opulent and above all _interesting_. I love the idea of painting the joinery in the same colour. How about adding an interesting colour on the inside, avoiding the default white? maybe an oak veneer?

Hope this is helpful!

Have a lovely day

Renata Drumond Interiors

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I agree with the above comment. Rooms can look bigger when you can't see the boundaries.

• PRO
    Renata Drumond Interior Design
    4 years ago

That's great Geetzy! I had thought it was your master bedroom. A warm grey would work nicely too! Let me know if you would like colour suggestions. Of course not nothing beats a few colour patches on the wall before choosing the one to go for! Best of luck, Renata

• G Beans
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, it is our master bedroom.
    We are planning to do building works over the next couple of years in stages and know that this room won’t change. So, once building works are done my son will get this room.
    I don’t have the energy to repaint it. Pure laziness!

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.