belindatanyh

Tiny Flat

belindatanyh
10 years ago
I have a tiny flat - my living and dining rooms are right next to each other in a small space - how can i decorate it to look distinct yet complementary?

Comments (10)

• Chem K
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Do you like wallpaper? Use a wallpaper of your liking in one zone and paint the other in the background colour of the wallpaper. Here this concept is used in a bedroom. Examples:
    Duck Egg and Pink Bedroom · More Info

Highfield Road Bed Room · More Info

Choose something contemporary like the second one so that it doesn't date like the first.
  • njerome09
    10 years ago
    I agree that a bold yet simple contemporary rug under the dining table would make a big difference. Also I would keep the walls white and place a large piece of bold Artwork on the left wall. The key is good big so it really sets the tone. Your cabinets would look smart in a glossy grey with sleek handles as well if that is an option.
    belindatanyh thanked njerome09
  • lorifromgacek
    10 years ago
    Monochromatic color palette.... Light tones.....but does not need to white if you want distinct feel. Soft fey , taupe...accented with white fixtures is gorgeous too.

Also consider a metallic paint..... Or pearl iced glaze on an accent wall. It will shimmer but can be quite subtle.....giving a soft glow to your space....living inside a lantern feel

Have fun!
    belindatanyh thanked lorifromgacek
  • belindatanyh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all!! Such great ideas! will share pics when done!
  • belindatanyh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think of a mirror for the backsplash on the kitchen?
    You cant see the pic here, but it faces a huge window on the other side of the room. I love the idea of grey/ dark cabinets, (with a wood coloured surface worktop) but might cost a small fortune to rework it. Will check on prices. The wallpaper idea is also really nice - much to mull through. so hard to decide!

I'm thinking of replacing the dining table set with a booth + round table seating and maybe add a mirror behind it space. Not sure if i can fit a whole L booth into the dining space and still fit in a table, so might just settle for a booth on one side.
  • belindatanyh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here;s the other side of the living room right next to the dining area
  • jopamath
    10 years ago
    Belindatanyh, just want to say that you have great help here! All ideas are great; the area rug is a perfect idea, a necessity! You won't believe the difference artwork can make. Before doing any color changes get the rug and/or art work, and work with the colors in them.And your idea for a mirror backsplash is great! It will brighten the space and double the "feel" of the size. Not crazy about "metallic" paint. A booth in the dining area will make it look very crowded. I'm also not a fan of wallpaper, having had a lot of it. When i wanted a different look it was a nightmare to remove! Good luck with your apartment, enjoy it!
    belindatanyh thanked jopamath
  • feimao747
    7 years ago

try to vary the height of the table to make the space more functional yet interesting. Add a drop leaf table with high chairs. Adjust the height of the drop leaf table to the height of the chair to create a little coffee corner or quick brekkie in the morning. I live in a small apartment too but I found space in the kitchen for this and it does not take up too much space. Black drop leaf table from Ikea. High chairs from second hand stores. Cheap items but makes world of difference.

• feimao747
    7 years ago

Also your flat is not tiny, it is interesting if you know what to do with the walls. Paint one wall darker shade then put up a big painting and an indoor plant for contrast. You'd be surprised how it will turn out

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.