henryb_turner_ward

A large basement project in need of a refurb-please help!

This room will be completely stripped out in order to start afresh. We are looking to turn the area into a bar/ chill out area. The carpet will be removed and the walls repainted. We need some ideas and help as to what we can to to maximise this area. The bar will preferably be installed towards the end with the staircase (leading to a kitchen). Looking to install a flatscreen tv and other furniture. Any help would be much appreciated.
The measurements are approximately 25ftx10.5ft- I sometimes picture this space as having a partition in the middle, there are suggestions to decorate the space with corrugated iron on the walls around the bar and make use of some used coffee bags in a barista space- I will be installing some speakers in the ceiling too.

Comments (14)

• Henry B Turner-Ward
    Original Author
    4 years ago

P.s. just to reiterate- all of the existing units in the room are to go

• rinked
    4 years ago

Create an ideabook on here with images you like. Style. Furniture. Colors.

Also draw the space on graph paper, doors, stairs, etc. (You can post a photo of it here to get more answers to your layout questions.) Then take another piece of paper and cut out a bar, stools, sofa, table, etc. Play with them. Imagine 3'/90cm traffic lines inbetween, stools moving, etc.

• E D
    4 years ago

Great to have that 'extra' space.

What's the ceiling height?

• Henry B Turner-Ward
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi guys! Sounds like a good idea, I’ll look into it/ the ceiling is 8ft

• E D
    4 years ago

8 foot is 2.34 M which is quite high for a basement.

Do you have any natural light coming in?

• Henry B Turner-Ward
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have a barn door at the back in the top of the staircase- other than that area... no

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Looks like it's not a completely square room, but it is quite a large space. It would be interesting to see a rough sketch of the layout, as zoning it would be good. So, seeing where different areas could be would be great.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Safety first - make sure the exits are

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Whoops - sneezed and posted too soon !!!
    Make sure exit is to regulation and if possible install an egress widow or second escape route if you can.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

A corner bar looks like it is feasible allowing you to have bar stools in front. This together with a soft seating area facing a wall mounted television would be a great chill out area.

I really like your ideas for using corrugated steel and you could also go with other upcycled type materials.

This was a project that I did in Moscow which gives you an idea of how much fun you can have with your space :-

• Henry B Turner-Ward
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As requested, this is the floor layout

• PRO
    Sarah Beeny's Renovate Don't Relocate
    4 years ago

Hi Henry,

I work for Outline Productions and we are making series 2 of ‘Sarah Beeny’s: Renovate Don’t Relocate’, which follows our property expert Sarah helping homeowners transform not just their homes, but the way they use them.

We're looking for homeowners who have a design dilemma and have a budget to renovate, for whom Sarah can provide expert advice and help make your design go further!

If you're interested, please do get in touch - my email is antoniao@outlineproductions.co.uk.

• rinked
    4 years ago

The best space for a bar would be in the back. Enough space to walk around, have a 2ft deep countertop next to the fridge:

But since a large corner sofa is great and I bet your tv won't be small-ish, I´d suggest this bar layout:

Where's the doorway in the back leading to?

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.