jacqueline_horgan

kitchen cupboard paints aaaah and lights

Hi All,

The pic below is my kitchen or at least part of!
We have black granite tops with a slight speckle which can look green, blue, purple dependant on how light shines on it. As you can see it needs a paint job! Initially I loved the really dark blues but only on island or base units (there are a couple of wall but not many)I also love green. However feel although walls will be white for a good time with only 1 window I am better to play safe and perhaps use the colours I like for lights or accessories. We have been to quite a few kitchen shops and like the Mussel colour, we think it will go well with black worktops and we plan to put a distressed oak flooring down. Does anyone know where I can get Mussel cupboard paint from. I been searching the web with no luck. I am useless at matching colours so could do with someone to tell me a paint brand and the colour that most resembles mussel. There is another post on here somewhere where someone has a pic of mussel door and grey asking for opinions if your not sure of colour I mean.
Secondly this is a farmhouse. We like industrial, rustic styles although not necessarily right through the house (I am partial to a little luxury living although how I can blend both styles I’m not sure??) initially I liked brass switch covers but think they are a bit too bling and wonder if polished nickel would be better (I want the click ones) the lights- I have recessed ones, 3 above island and another opp island (from where photo taken) which will be above a small kitchen table. The lights I like are shown but I’m unsure whether they will complement.
Looks like I can only post 4 pics so will post more light in next comment.
Another quick q taps presently are brushed chrome so to are handles. I do like antique bronze/ brass look as well however massive fridge in brushed chrome so perhaps should stick with that metal look?

Comments (7)

• Jacqueline Horgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The green glass one on left bottom.
    I also like the pulley ones but more like the shape in the first pic

• PRO
    Schmidt Kitchens Fulham
    4 years ago

I personally love dark blue kitchen cabinets but to be honest it goes much better with light worktop - bianco carrara looks fantastic for instance. So if you prefer black worktop mussel colour definitely sounds better to combine with. I unfortunately can't advice any of the spray workshops as our cabinets are sprayed right in the factory in Germany. In our range of colours I think Mussel colour can be substituted with Kashmir Grey or Magnolia in kind of way.

Brass finish for as a pop of colour is great solution! It brings the right atmosphere to your home and as you mentioned it's a farm house I can't imagine better match. I would try to go for one extra finish for all of the accessories ( Brass colour in this case), not more. The result will be amazing I am sure so don't forget to share the final pictures with us!

• LTS
    4 years ago

Hi

This is deVOL’s mushroom colour - they say that Fired Earth’s Oak Apple is a similar colour. You could see if it could be colour matched at a paint centre. Alternatively you could take a sample of a mussel door you like to get colour matched. Good luck!

https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/the-clapham-classic-english-kitchen-by-devol-contemporary-kitchen-london-phvw-vp~17502827

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

I Love the idea of Mussel colour with Oak flooring. I also think that you can combine that with an Island unit in a blue or a green. I do agree with Schmidt kitchens that maybe a lighter worktop would work a lot better all round. Black is harsh and although we had black granite at one point, we would never have it again. It darkens the whole room and is difficult to work with.

Love those blue lights too.

• Jacqueline Horgan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for comments. Unfortunately since this is a project that has now past the 1 yr mark and we had to completely strip the house to its bear bones we had to purchase a second hand kitchen. It was previously a football managers so very expensive new. Made by hand. I got no choice with granite top- black it is!
    Initially I was wanting brass but all handles taps are chrome hence the pic of chrome manta light (it’s not shiny chrome) so now you have thrown me!!
    I am really indecisive and love too many things and never sure what works well.
    If I go for all brass fittings should I also go for brass coloured manta style light?
    I know both the blue ball light and green long light would go with brass fittings. At the moment the blue light has a black fitting, would I need to change that if went for silver metal or brass?
    Light switch covers was going for brushed nickel as I don’t like antique brass when I looked at switch covers- I’m getting click ones
    Lts- you mention mushroom colour and then fire earth apple??? I’m not sure which you are referring to as a close match to mussel colour

• LTS
    4 years ago

The deVOL kitchen is painted in deVOL’s mushroom paint colour...you can’t buy their paints (without a kitchen!) but deVOL mentioned that Fired Earth’s Oak Apple paint is a similar colour. Hope that helps :)

Singapore
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.